Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A300FE

La vita e bella!!
I have worked for two airlines under 121, three men crew operations. While holding short off the runway we only had nav and beacons lights ON. When cleared to position and hold CA turned ON the landing, strobe and runway turn-off lights. When in position and hold, he turned these light OFF, until cleared for TO (knowing that he would be there for a few minutes, lets say heavy aircraft departed or parallel runway TO). When cleared for TO he would turn all the light ON again.

Question: has anyone flown for a co. that required you to leave all the lights ON while in position and hold? If you are the CA, are you going to leave all your lights ON so that everybody knows you are on an active runway? What about if you have traffic that might be cleared to cross the active runway? Wouldn't they think you are about to TO, when you are just seating there?

Both my previous and current operator turn the lights except the landing lights on when cleared into position. When actually cleared for takeoff, then the landing lights come on.

That's a similar procedure to what I saw in my brief 121 days. Captain would turn on everything but the landing lights when cleared into position, and turn on everything when cleared for takeoff. For good reason too, because without airflow going over those landing lights the suckers would melt the plexiglass covers and burn themselves out in a hurry.

We turn on all the lights when taking the active runway in both the DC-9 and DA-20. Except the wing root lights on the F model, which are turned on until the start of the roll because they will distort the plastic covers.

Both my previous and current operator turn the lights except the landing lights on when cleared into position. When actually cleared for takeoff, then the landing lights come on.

I'm to lazy to look it up but there is an Advisory Circular that deals with surface issues and runway incurssions that basically mirrors your answer to the post. Landing lights should not be turned on until you begin the takeoff roll. Having said that, I'm sure there are a dozen or more different company procedures that conflict with this guidence.

Ahh, musta been the 727

It was indeed. I found out the hard way just how bright those dang things are. During walkaround I knocked on the hull to get the FO to turn them on so I could make sure they worked, and was inexperienced enough to be looking right at them.

I was seeing stars for an hour.

Latest resources

Back