• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Parents part of the Problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, that jumped off the page at me too and I don't consider it a good sign...I don't care what they say. But, once they're 16, you don't have any legal say-so about whether they stay in high school or not. True, you can exert other pressure/influence to "guide" their thinking( i.e., "Here's a big cardboard box...there's a highway overpass...have a nice life."), but when it comes down to it, you can't stop them from leaving. Maybe that influence would work, but you'd be surprised how short-sighted these kids are today. And the parents can't get 100% of the blame unless they live on some remote desert island with no friggin' TV.

Heck, my daughter had to sign a form "allowing" her college grades to be sent home to her parents !!! Some wild-eyed liberal has decided parents don't have the "right" to see the grades unless the kid "authorizes" it.

Things have just gotten out of control. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Last edited:
Too bad kids don't come with an operators manual. Loving your kids isn't enough, sometime you gotta put the smack down on 'em when they are young to keep them from pulling shennanigans like this, which have far reaching implications and may have just ruined his life for good.

Thank you FN FAL. Nature vs. Nurture, an age old debate in psychology. I believe a combination of both shape the man or woman... If he didn't want to finish high school, fine. But I wouldn't have rewarded that choice with flight school. He'd be washing dishes or wrenching on cars like I had to. Made me decide very quickly what I was going to do with my life!

Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard.

I'm doing my Ph.D. studies right now and let me tell you: school's not for everyone. While I do not advocate the excuse of "it is hard and it does not interest me" as a reason to drop out, one must recognize that school is not the magical outlet that provides you with a good life. Examples above and below prove that. How many members here lack having a four year degree but are doing fine?

The kid did a dumb thing. His parents admit that it was dumb. Furthermore, they say that they "don't want him to get out of this". Why are you blaming the parents?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back