• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Parents bought a ticket on Skybus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I drive a Toyota, which is built in California by UAW workers. They put these factories where they get the most tax incentives, not only where there is a "right to work".

Born and raised in Flint MI, GM town USA. Well it was a decade or more ago. I was rasied to buy American and Union when at all possible. Funny thing is, and no offense to the UAW workers...but the UAW did IMHO a lousy job of balancing a good worker and just protecting all the workers. I'm sorry I grew up union (dad trade union) and not all unions have to protect the bottom feeders as the UAW did so many times. Not to say all UAW workers were lazy or lousy. I would say the majority are good hard working people. Unfortunately you see the sludge over and over again. I know I will probably get flamed over this, but as any huge organization (such as the UAW) became very corrupt over time and the blame is not only with the Management (which is greatly to blame) but hand in hand with the UAW pushing the jobs out of the country. It is a sad thing where the UAW started with the sit down strike in the 1920's (in Flint) to what it became later. Starting out to protect workers rights, fair treatment, human decency, etc....to later becoming so selfish.

Flying freight for over 8 years, I made many, many trips across the border with parts for the "American" cars. And yet for the "foreign" cars picked up parts in the US and delivered them to plants in the US.

So again, what is an American car? One built by Americans where the money goes back to another country. Or one built by foreigners in a foreign country where the money comes back here?

I still drive a GM. It still goes against the fiber of my being to buy something else, even though they are good vehicles.

I'm union now, grew up that way and will never, never cross a picket line anywhere for whatever reason at any place.

my 2 cents....now I'm sure I've pissed off someone somewhere. Flame away.

The funny part is watching these anti Wal-Mart drones walk into Target weekly... or did I miss the press release where suddenly Target was suddenly unionized, increased their pay and benefits above Wal-Mart's, and began pressure vendors to source from the US?

Unless you live in a Norman Rockwell painting, good luck trying to live in your 1950's "Made in America" dream world without spending a fortune.

Last edited:
If my parents bought a ticket on Skytrash not only would I not pick them up. They could stay at a hotel and get a rental car.

Walmart and the Walmartization of America is going to be "Joe Six Packs'" undoing.. You see, while Joe is out saving a buck at Walmart, Walmart is leaning on venders to outsource his job to China and Vietnam so that in a few years, Joe will have a hard time even paying for the garbage Walmart sells! The American executives are too short sighted to even care... so long as their next quarterly bonus is paid!

I'm here in Shanghai as I type this, and overlooking the city from a 30 story room.. I can tell you this... in 20-30 years, you're going to be looking for a job in China. These people have their crap together, and 90% of that is because American business has more or less given them a jump start by moving our middle class to them!

Mark my words.. the US will be a "has been" empire like the UK in your lifetime!

I am glad someone gets it. Freightdog (god, whatever) is out to lunch.

AA

Not exactly. The Fusion is made in Mexico, the Camry in Japan and Kentucky, the Impala in Canada, and the Avenger in Sterling Heights, MI. The Impala is made by Canadian Auto Workers, the Avenger by United Auto Workers, while the Fusion is presumably made by non-union workers and the Camry is made by non-union workers.

Well we could split hairs. In the current NASCAR models Dodge uses the Charger, which is built in Brampton, Ontario. For the Car of Tomorrow, which is used part-time this year and will go full-time next year, they use the Avenger. So based on the "current" models, only the Camry is manufactured in the USA (and Japan as well).

Well we could split hairs. In the current NASCAR models Dodge uses the Charger, which is built in Brampton, Ontario. For the Car of Tomorrow, which is used part-time this year and will go full-time next year, they use the Avenger. So based on the "current" models, only the Camry is manufactured in the USA (and Japan as well).

Touche!

I drive a Toyota, which is built in California by UAW workers. They put these factories where they get the most tax incentives, not only where there is a "right to work".

Wow, that's news to me. After a little research I discovered the California plant is a joint venture with GM. Can you imagine two competing airlines working together like that... oh wait, just about every airline in the world is in some kind of code-share.

It looks like Toyota has plants in California, Texas, Indiana, Alabama, Kentucky, and West Virginia. I believe only the California plant is UAW, but can't confirm that. Texas and Alabama are the only "right-to-work" states. I was under the impression that Indiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia were also right-to-work, but was mistaken. This was a bit of a surprise to me.

I agree Toyota builds plants where they get "the most tax incentives", but would go a step further to say they build plants which are least costly overall, which includes taxes and employee wages among other things.

Back to SkyTrash..

Have you seen their Uniforms??
They are Light Brown on Dark Brown ! I am not making that up. They look like friggin Ralph Krandon.

Latest resources

Back