Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bell47

shoveling the dream!
Does anyone know these people? They are from Nashville but operate in Al. also. They have 4 caravans and 5 Saratogas.Thanks for any info bell47

bump.

I was wondering about this as well... no luck on google.

I sent them a resume a while back and they called me. The woman was very pushy and acted as if I was really lucky that they called me. I don't remember the exact pay( in the twenties I think) and she told me I had to sign a 1 year contract for about 10 grand in caravan training. All this and I had to move to Birmingham,AL. I laughed and told her I'd think about it. I guess I lied because I actually forgot about them until I saw this post. I tried to get info on them at the time but never heard anything about them. There are so many other 'van operators that pay more, and probably treat pilots better.

bell47 said:
I sent them a resume a while back and they called me. The woman was very pushy and acted as if I was really lucky that they called me. I don't remember the exact pay( in the twenties I think) and she told me I had to sign a 1 year contract for about 10 grand in caravan training. All this and I had to move to Birmingham,AL. I laughed and told her I'd think about it. I guess I lied because I actually forgot about them until I saw this post. I tried to get info on them at the time but never heard anything about them. There are so many other 'van operators that pay more, and probably treat pilots better.

Hey, the 'ham ain't that bad! I'll assume you were laughing at the $$. ;)

Thanks for the info... I've seen a couple of caravans with their name on the tail parked at the far end of JetSouth for a while but couldn't find any info on the boards or internet.

I worked there 1995 to 1996. Alot has changed since then. They use to have 13 or 14 barons, 2 caravans and a Beech 99. Since then, they have sold the Barons to Flight Express (which also took over the hangar in BNA). I believe the 99 was sold and another Caravan added. Best I know (I haven't talked to the owner in a few years) they have 3 Caravans. One at BFM and 2 in BHM.

Back when I was there it was a good entry level job. The owners cared about the employees and treated them like family (doubt thats changed). The equipment was very well maintained. I worked in the shop as a mechanic before going to the flight-line, so I know this information first hand. Never pressured to fly broke planes or to go in bad weather. I delayed a trip one night due to freezing rain enroute, by the time I was able to go, the work had been trucked. Never heard a peep about it. This was in the Baron, which was all I ever flew there.

Pay..................well it is a check hauling job. I made $25,000 then went to $30,000 when I started an outbase for them. I didn't think that was to bad in 1995 for a low time guy, but I knew I was just time building to move on. Times are different know, so you have to make your on decisions about pay.

In retrospect..............I had a great time there. The owners, who I need to call and catch up with are great people. Last time I spoke with Jim he gave me a PIREP into BFM. I was coming into BFM behind him late one night in a Westind that I managed. If a check hauler says its low.......ITS LOW! Hard working people that have been in the check hauling business for many years.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have more questions.

paragon

Thank you Spaceball! Good info.

I hear you were one hell of a dart player in your day....Smokin Joe

Last edited:
Well I never put my eye out with one, but I did manage to win some beer over at the campus pub on occasion. You know a bit about Paragon. Wasn't a bad place by any strech and we always had a good time. Good to see you on the board here buddy!

Latest info

In all seriousness, I talked to someone who applied about 8 months ago and I was told the contract on the Caravan was TWO years and there was no pro-rating, 1 year and 363 days you decided to leave and you paid the entire contract (around 10K). Good to see the contract has grown smaller in length (however 1 year on a van seems long, there are a lot of van operators out there). Also, the only other post I have seen on the "new" Paragon was "don't call in sick".

Current Pilots

Any current pilots out there with the current info on these folks.

Pay/Schedule/benis

Paragon Info

I am based at Mobile, AL where they have a couple of pilots based. I work for another cargo company but know a few of the pilots. 26K a year to start flying a Saratoga in single pilot IFR cargo operations. Caravan upgrade I am told requires 2500 hours. Supposedly they are looknig for pilots between 1500 and 1900 hours so the person will stay atleast 2 years with the company. One pilot I know quit after 4 months, current pilot on the run is looking at other options so go figure. The CP is named Joe, he seems like a ok guy, but I have heard its the owners to watch out for. The were flying out of New Orleans but I havent seen one of their aircraft there in almost 2 months so its possible they may have switched or lost the run. Bases in Mobile and Birmingham AL I know and a few in TX I was told. Hope this helps some.

Latest resources

Back