• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Par

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahh,... a GCA from an RAF controller: those are the best in the world. You could be on fire, with no hydro, and the sound of a Brit giving a PAR would lower your blood pressure by 30 points.
TDK90, do you know/remember an RAF gal that gave GCA's at Wattisham back around '91 or '92? She had the most gorgeous voice. Was she as gorgeous in person??
Another thing I love is the "dirty talkdown" that the occassional RAF gal would give us in the Med.

Huggyu2 said:
Ahh,... a GCA from an RAF controller: those are the best in the world. You could be on fire, with no hydro, and the sound of a Brit giving a PAR would lower your blood pressure by 30 points.
TDK90, do you know/remember an RAF gal that gave GCA's at Wattisham back around '91 or '92? She had the most gorgeous voice. Was she as gorgeous in person??
Another thing I love is the "dirty talkdown" that the occassional RAF gal would give us in the Med.

Well now there's a coincidence..I was at RAF Wattisham from 90-93, it was my first tour after graduating from the ATC School at RAF Shawbury, we had 56 (Firebirds) and 74 (Tigers) squadrons. Both F4 outfits, 56 had the FGR2 and 74 had ex-USN F4-J which apparently was far superior, the 74 aircrew even got to wear USAF flightsuits, something to do with compatible safety equipment. They closed Wattisham in 93, the Army has it now I believe and flies Apaches out of it, I went off to bigger and better things at Eastern Radar....

We used to have a blast with the Bentwaters and Woodbridge A-10s, plus the Lakenheath + Heyford F1-11s, I always liked controlling USAF aircraft, they were generally far more polite and appreciative than the miserable RAF FJ crews! We always got a lot of trade from the USAF...I hope it stays that way...

We had 4 young WRAF officer controllers in that time period, one was married to an F4 pilot who sadly CFITted into the Med off Akrotiri a few years later. They were all pleasant in a WRAF sort of way, much nicer than some I've worked with, it was always fun for us to watch the face of horror of visiting aircrew who came up to the tower to meet the gal on the end of the radio only to find she was a heffer...you wouldn't have been the first to be fooled by a voice!!!

Small world! Remember Lynn Johnson? She ended up going on to be the team manager for the Red Arrows, and before that, I think she was doing something at Buckingham Palace.
I was at Alconbury from '90-'93. Lived in St Ives.

Very small world, I knew Lynn, she was at LATCC with me, she lived in the Mess at Uxbridge with the rest of us "singlies'. I think you're right, I seem to remember her being an Equerry to HRH Duke of York or something..Never went to ALC, visited Wyton once, I knew a lot of people there in the tower. I remember once in 87 when I was an enlisted type working at RAF Leeming in N.Yorks, we had a TR1 divert in because we had the only North South runway available, it was very cool for a 17 yr old to see that thing land + get chased down the runway by the Mustang with the detachable gear.

donta toucha nothing

Now when shooting PAR's into NATO airfields where the final controller is a foreigner you may get some terminology that does not match the above. Like the one I got going into Milan, Italy, upon intercepting glideslope the controller said "you a looking good, don'ta toucha nothing" Of course I immedialtely took my hands and feet off the controls, only kidding

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back