PAR Approaches!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ipilot

Has anyone of you guys actually flown a PAR approach? If yes, then where in the united states and how was it? Thanks.....

Just ask

Most naval air stations have PAR. It has been my experience that they are eager to provide them (traffic permitting) for controller currency.

Not very practical in today's civil aviation environment, but I would recommend it for the experience.

PARs

Flown a number of them at YNG in the mid 80's; they're a blast and very easy "no gyro" approaches when one concentrates on not overcontrolling the aircraft. The PAR approach, like the ASR approach is conducted verbally via radio, and also like the ASR approach, left/right guidance is given by "start/stop" turn commands followed up with "slightly left/right of course", "left/right of course" and "well left/right of course"situational information. Just outside the FAF you're handed off the the "final controller" on a discrete frequency and told to make all turns 1/2 standard rate and that replies to commands are not neccesary. Your vertical quidance will also be verbal using the same commands and terminology as the lateral guidance. The best places to find them are at joint use civil/military fields. I'm not sure if YNG still has the PAR or not since it's been some years since I've flown in that part of the country. YNG also had or still has the distinction of being one of the few TRSAs left in the country. The radar room was in the tower building one floor down from the cab. The controllers were sharp and great to work with.

Regards,

PAR's

Used to have IFR students do them at Grey AAF in Tacoma, WA...the controllers were very happy to see us and get the practice. On the other hand...Navy Whidbey wasn't interested in working us.

PAR's are a lot of fun and good at teaching that an ILS is mainly small heading and vertical speed changes and not chasing the ILS needles.

PARS

If you are in the heartland, you are always welcome to try Fort Campbell Kentucky. Campbell is a AAF. They are happy to issue PARS. The will no longer allow you to fly the aircraft over the threshold.

The Designator at Campbell is KHOP and you can contact Campbell Approach on 118.1 whenever you enter the Altert Area or the Campbell 1 & 2 MOAS. They will give you vectors around Restricted Area R3702 A-B.

They love it when you want to do PARS, because it gives them alot of good practice. PAR defines the word precise. I would say the most accurate of them all is the MLS though. However your not going to see non-miltary aircraft other then the space shuttle using an MLS.

Go practice those PAR's!

J.

I did one for my IR checkride at Pease (Portsmouth, NH), which was unexpected...a complete surprise. It was wicked cool.

YNG still does and they usually are very willing to do these approaches-

Dan is one of the areas "finest"-

C H E E R S

3 5 0

"The PAR approach, like the ASR approach is conducted verbally via radio, and also like the ASR approach, left/right guidance is given by "start/stop" turn commands followed up with "slightly left/right of course", "left/right of course" and "well left/right of course"situational information. "

Haven't flown a PAR in years. But, unless things have changed, they're not flown as a "no gyro" approach.

Latest resources

Back