Paperless Cockpit Advisory Circular

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
Gotcha. Web sites are always talking about not having enough bandwidth. Does that mean they don't have a big enough cord, too?

The hotel room here doesn't have one of the wide cords, but I did change out the telephone cord just now, and that helped. I had wireless until recently, and now it doesn't seem to want to turn on. I probably ought to carry a big cord on the road...maybe that would help. Just lately it seems the thing has been disconnecting after every screen change. Very annoying.

Bandwidth, measured in Kilo Bytes (KB) or kilo bits (Kb), is a measure of speed. You may have seen some modems that advertise 56Kb (56000 bits) and then you see cable and dsl modems at 3Mbs (3,000,000 bits) and that is all per second. All that is, is how much data per second you can send/get. The wire size really has nothing to do with it, it is simply the medium you use to get to the data from the "modem" to your computer. All a modem does is translate the data stream from the internet to a protocol your computer can understand.

The funny thing about internet access, on the west coast is where I see more "pay for high speed" in the spendy hotels and on the east coast it is always "complimentary". Go figure.

I never thought about it, but you're right. I'm in an East coast hotel tonight, and it's free wireless (that I can't access because the modem has apparently shuffled off it's mortal coil). Most of the pay access is west coast. It always seems to be the more expensive hotels that charge, too.

avbug said:
I never thought about it, but you're right. I'm in an East coast hotel tonight, and it's free wireless (that I can't access because the modem has apparently shuffled off it's mortal coil). Most of the pay access is west coast. It always seems to be the more expensive hotels that charge, too.

As far as your wireless goes, did you hit a hardware or software switch by accident? On my laptop, my wireless card is integrated, and the "hardware" switch is a key combination (I have to fress the "Fn" and "F2" keys simultaneously), yet there is also a software switch where I go into the card's configuration program and can turn it on or off that way too.

To make sure your card is running properly, you have to consult the equivalent of your computer's FOM or POH. Online help (Windows) probably won't cut it.

We see that all the time. Truthfully it's frustrating. Like in the Embassys and Hiltons. You're paying $200+ a night and have to pay for connevtivity wheras the Holiday Inn Express down the road is free?! They must have gotten into a long term contract with a provider from day one and are stuck that way.

Latest resources

Back