painful pressure today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Blockage

Try Sudafed non-drying sinus... carry lots of tissues as your nose will leak but you won't get a squeeze. Also I tried wasabi, the green sushi horse radish. You can buy a tube of it and squeeze a bit on your tongue when you feel the squeeze coming. It clears you sinus's right up but it will burn your tongue for a few seconds.

If you use the Valsalva maneuver do it early and often in little bursts. That's one of the biggest problem with first time divers as well... they don't equalize the pressure early and often. It only takes a few feet to get a blockage and once it's there it's very hard to clear. Start the maneuver before you actually descend or as soon as you feel the slightest pressure.

If you don't clear the squeeze the symptoms can range from severe pain to blown eardrums.

can you really buy wasabi in a tube? I would be interested in that, seriously!

man, i had no idea what wasabi was and slathered it all over a shrimp at a japanese restaurant.... one of the most painful food experiences i've ever had, but like he said, it does the trick!!! i remember my nose clearing up instantly.

Wasabi

I get mine in a regular grocery store... however if you can't find it look for an Asian market and they usually have it there.

I've had this happen cforst in similar circumstances. I nearly lost all vision. I immediately arrested the descent and climbed and the pain subsided as quickly as it came on. I recall a VERY slight congestion for the trip but nothing I had not flown with before without any problems. If I were IFR I would not have hesitated to declare an emergency... really if this ever happens in the future and there is no 2nd pilot on board I think you have no choice but to immediately climb at the onset of such pain... especially IFR.

I have had that problem a few times...a couple of the times i was grounded by my doc for a week. As has been said, it is a sinus problem. They get blocked and will not equalize as you come down from altitude. Apparently, if this happens to you, the ears will begin to produce a fluid which collects in the ear(sometimes noticable, sometimes not) and this fluid becomes infected with bacteria and can cause some serious problems. My first time this happened i did not realize what was happening and flew for days with it clearing up as we climbed and got worse every time we came down. It was as if you were in a tunnel, and i could not hear out of the affected ear. I went to the doc and he said it was Barotitus (also known as sinusitus to the non flying public). I had to get a steroid shot and was put on antibiotics for a week. Cleared right up and i was back in business. Then again about 2 years later it happened again, with the same result from the doc. I have had small bouts of it over the past 3 years, but nothing as bad as the first couple times. I now keep a pretty much complete drug store in my flight bag, i am always prepared for anything. I make sure i use it sparingly, and usually only sudafed or the generic brand my company has on hand, they both work great. As far as the nasal spray goes, i used it a couple of times with varied success, but stopped after my doc told me that it really was not a good idea for continued use because your body then becomes reliant on it and can make things worse. So, i too know your pain, but my suggestion would be next time it happens to go to the doc immediately and discuss these problems with him, before relying on the advice of us here on this board, because he might have a beter idea of the problem and a fix for it.

cforst513 said:
man, i had no idea what wasabi was and slathered it all over a shrimp at a japanese restaurant.... one of the most painful food experiences i've ever had, but like he said, it does the trick!!! i remember my nose clearing up instantly.

I know a guy who snorted several.. "lines" of wasabi.. His nose hated him.. It was horrible..

I guess wasabi is best left on sushi. :)

are you serious?! i know how much pain i was in just by eating it. wtf is wrong with this guy?!

Latest resources

Back