• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Padding the book

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I was coming up the 141 school I taught at had about a half dozen instructors who would "share flights" and log them.

Most of those guys/gals were from Europe, India and Turkey, here for the ATP then gone.

I use to do ferry flights for broker and coming off the end of a full day of CFI-ing I wouldn't log them, was paid in cash for the flight, just didn't want the hassle of having to stack my log book up a week out.

The classic example of this being the idiot who sat at the local airport, writing tail numbers into his logbook.

This was all well and good until he had a checkride with an examiner who wanted to know, in essence, what the hell he (the applicant) was doing flying the examiner's aircraft without permission!

That said, this industry is too full of a$$ holes and pretenders who haven't earned the right to occupy the seat they are sitting in. Blow the whistle and raise the bar if you can indeed support your allegations.

AAAAAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaha(HUGE INHALE)ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!

What did he do when the examiner questioned him on it?

Burn him before his passengers burn. Clear enough? The life you save may turn out to be yours or your families.

I remember a fellow instructor back in college who at the ripe old age of 22 claimed he had over 10000 hours of flight time. The boss knew he was full of fecal matter, but didn't seem too concerned. At least he took himself out in a drunk driving wreck before he ever caused any bent metal in an aircraft.

Seems to me that this is pretty easy for any POI, or hiring manager to have investigated.. they have a right to copy the log book entires, then call the airports, the Tail number owners records, maintenance and insurance records.. they simply will not add up and the bozo will be instantly thrown out on his ear.. the FAA will pull his tickets...

The airlines will smell right through this with the PRIA background and the standard log book checks.. Any other operators worth their salt will check out new hires and find the same problem or suffer the liability in the end for improper background checks..

In any case, I agree with another member here, we all have a duty to the profession and integrity to everyone that has worked the CFI stuff, worked the hours etc.. if he would lie about something like this, what's next?? JMHO

Seems to me that this is pretty easy for any POI, or hiring manager to have investigated.. they have a right to copy the log book entires, then call the airports, the Tail number owners records, maintenance and insurance records.. they simply will not add up and the bozo will be instantly thrown out on his ear.. the FAA will pull his tickets...

The airlines will smell right through this with the PRIA background and the standard log book checks.. Any other operators worth their salt will check out new hires and find the same problem or suffer the liability in the end for improper background checks..

In any case, I agree with another member here, we all have a duty to the profession and integrity to everyone that has worked the CFI stuff, worked the hours etc.. if he would lie about something like this, what's next?? JMHO

In a perfect world, perhaps they would actually go through all this trouble to ascertain the accuruacy of his entries. Realistically, if it doesn't pass the smell test, one doesnt get hired. If he's on the line and proficient, then it won't be questioned. A serious accident may not even cover or delve into these prior times (91) outside of 121/135 flying. The difficulties of trying to track down time gained all over the place would be maddeningly tedious and expensive and not very accurate. Places shut down and records are not always kept well. Any certificate action out of it while still having reasonable doubt would make it ripe for a lawsuit.

However, if you know that someone is currently pen-whipping, then there is a greater chance of this being investigated. Strike while hot. Trying to debunk time logged from yrs ago in 91 operations like acquiring the magic multi is just not worth mosts time. Other certifcate action can be taken if someone really screws up without looking too deeply into false entries.

In the end, it's the personality, knowledge, judgment and skill that will betray excessively fraudulant time. There are enough out there who got ahead a little faster due to their false entries, but if all is well in paradise, then no one questions a thing. Think of it as a dirty little secret.

The FAA is well aware that this potential exists, but short of implementing some sort of national (even international as it applies) list of time logging well... its just not possible based uppn the multitude of varied operations which take place all over; both regulated and unregulated.

It's an honor system, boys and girls. If you have any integrity or honor, you wont have to worry.

You would be amazed what people log. I was doing interviews back in the day at one of the Regionals. A guy came in for the interview and while going through his log book I noticed he had logged a handfull of EMB 120 time PIC. I was confused how this happend with out him having a type ratings. He decided to aruge "well I was with an ATP who can legally instruct and since he has a ME rating he can log it pic" I just smiled and then asked him a few systems questions about the EMB. He looked me straight in the eye and told me that he was prepared to talk about the Baron today not the EMB 120.....Log what you want but you might end up blowing and interview over it....

Chairman

What it all boils down to is that a logbook will be no more reliable that a resume, job application and yes even a college transcript. Where even all of those can be manipulated (to a point) they will say what one wants them to say.

Even background investigations including criminal one's are subject to quality issues beyond the control of the one needing or requesting the info, regardless of the fact it comes from a government source.

At the end of the day its the responsibility of the one hiring to fully vet the new hire which in our case should include time in the actual aircraft they intend to fly, one in the same category and class or if possible one they claim to have flown in the past.

In todays litigious society even to call out an actual liar on his or her lies is to walk a financially dangerous minefield. Notwithstanding the facts of the lie it can still cost you financially when you are sued and require the services of an attorney, case prep, time in court and a possible trial. No less than $10,000 for what I just typed out.

And when all is said and done yes you will most likely win, may even be awarded attorneys fees. But now comes the collection of those fees which could spark yet another round of legal squabbles, requiring more money.

And one has to consider a split judgement in a case like this where both parties technically win while losing at the same time. Civil court is literally like playing the lottery and all it would take would be a trial by jury where just one juror was treated in a similar fashion as the one you outed and its all over.

You should consider notifing the employer of your concerns. Let them validate the records.

Latest resources

Back