• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

pack lunch vs buy for 10% discount

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay, I think what we are all wondering is... when the heck is this discussion going to get around to PFT? After all, PB&J sandwiches are a perfect segway. :)

I would advise that you not take drinks from the aircraft. Most companys have policies against this and consider it stealing. I know that many people, especially FAs, do this but is your job really worth risking for a 50 cent coke? Something to think about. You never know who is watching.

Dougcorp-9

DougCorp-9 said:
I would advise that you not take drinks from the aircraft. Most companys have policies against this and consider it stealing. I know that many people, especially FAs, do this but is your job really worth risking for a 50 cent coke? Something to think about. You never know who is watching.

Dougcorp-9
You're not one who believes what the AirTran F/As believe, are you? That the company was/is marking the bottom of the Coke cans, then checking the hotel room garbage for marked cans and if they found any you would lose your job?!?

You're right. You never know you is watching. Maybe they are circling your house RIGHT NOW. RUN!! HIDE!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:
I pack a fairly large cooler. I can go a four day trip without buying food if I do it right. I like to buy an egg mcmuffin for breakfast sometimes though. Or go out with the crew for a good meal once in awhile. (although with our schedules it's been hard lately). I can do a whole trip for less than $20 (Assuming no beer nights) including tips. The effort really does save alot of money. Plus you can eat whenever you want.

I pack home-made burritos, large tortillas, scrambled eggs, beans of some kind, rice, ground sausage, some salsa, whatever you want. Warm the tortillas in the mic and wrap them up, put in tin foil. We have a microwave in the crew rooms so all I need is about 5mins to walk in and warm it up.

Baby carrots, yogurt, pbj, other sandwiches, nature valley granola bars, cookies, fruit cups (the kind out on the shelves with the canned fruit don't need to be kept cold) oranges and other fruit, leftovers. I use an ice pack/hot water bottle, the kind with the wide filler neck that sits on your head. You can fill it up with ice and it keeps the water from leaking. Put a cloth in the bottom of the cooler to soak up any condensation. I put ice packs in the freezer in the crew room and switch them out on my turns if I have time. It's a lot of effort and the cooler is heavy but as has been said, it saves tons of money and it healthier. And when you are groundstopped on the ramp at ORD for 2 hours it's all right there.

Has anyone ever tried those freeze dried meals they sell at camping stores? I bought a beef stew one just for the heck of it but I doubt they are very good. They're not very cheap ($3-4) but cheaper than a meal at TGIF's.

It depends on who you work for. I pack a lunch and even take Lunch meat sometimes I have a 9can cooler with a strap and to keep things cool I use a Quart size freezer bag and use the Hotel Ice machine and If needed I ask the FA to top my Ice off through the day just make sure you use sealed bags for your food because the Ice will sweat and pool in the bottom

Many crew rooms have a 'fridge in them. I pack a few sandwiches when I leave the house, and leave them in the crew room until I need to get one when I pass through. Just make sure you put your name, and the date on them. They do clean out them out from time to time.

Another word of advice. Try to avoid using those plastic blue ice things. I had one break on me the other day. It ruined a lot of my food, and made one mell of a hess in my lunchbox.

Latest resources

Back