pack lunch vs buy for 10% discount

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you have a wife?

Not being sexist or anything - but I always packed my husband's lunches when he was with the regionals. I worked (and still do) but the regional life is tough (so is life in the majors when you're junior). You work long hours and don't get paid well and eating fast food is not only unhealthy but it just gets old. My husband hated packing his lunches but he did it every day before we were married. I took over to ease his load.

Here are some tips:

1. Get those little hard freezer pak's (they're about $0.99 at Wal-Mart) and put them in your cooler with any food you think will need to keep until you get to the hotel. Keep track of which hotels have refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms - this will help you (or your wife) pack for each trip appropriately.

2. Baby carrots, grapes and sliced apples (with lemon juice on the apples to keep them from getting brown) are easy to take with you, healthy, and very simple to eat while you are flying - nothing to throw away (like the core of an apple).

3. When making sandwiches, put butter first on the side you put the mayo (or jelly) on - this way the bread doesn't get soggy as quickly. I used to make chicken salad, tuna, peanut butter and jelly, roast beef, beef and cheese, ham and cheese, etc. sandwiches - just some ideas for variety. Often if I made a pb&j sandwich, I also put in one with some type of meat - pb&j isn't very filling but it makes a good snack when you are working hard and getting hungry between meals.

4. I also always made cookies so my husband had something home-made in his lunch.

5. Packets of hot chocolate and/or hot cider are always good to have on hand during the winter.

6. Keep a package of microwave popcorn with you for snacks in the hotel (if there is a microwave). You can get some of the lower sodium ones if you're watching your sodium intake.

7. Tortilla chips have less sodium also and they travel better than regular potato chips.

8. For longer trips or trips where you might have nothing but a coffee maker in your room, cup-o-noodles, although very high sodium, are better than nothing - and a lot cheaper than eating out. Also, packets of instant oatmeal are good to have on hand for breakfast.

9. Always carry a plastic spoon and fork with you - you never know when you might want to run to the grocery store and pick up a freezer meal or something requiring utensils.

10. IF you know you will have a refrigerator and a microwave in your room, you can take things like left-over casserole or pre-made frozen burritos (I used to make them and freeze them but you can buy them in the grocery store for cheap).

11. String cheese (good protein), applesauce, pudding, fruit cups, etc. are very simple things to pack as well.

12. Grab drinks from the airplane and take them to your hotel room with you. This will save you room in your cooler and money for beverages. I'm sure I don't have to give you this tip - I don't know many airline crews at the regional level that don't take advantage of this.

There are probably other tips I've forgotten. Now that my husband is on with the majors, he gets most of his meals provided by the company (thank goodness for crew meals) and he has a higher per diem rate so he can eat at better places than McDonalds or Wendy's when he has to buy a meal. But packing lunches really saved us a lot of money and it kept my husband healthier - partially because he had healthier food to eat and partially because he always had food available and didn't have to skip as many meals as he would have with all the quick-turns, etc. He (or I) packed his lunches for five years. Believe me, if you can do it, it really pays off.

Well, good luck!

EternalOptimist said:
Not being sexist or anything - but I always packed my husband's lunches when he was with the regionals. I worked (and still do) but the regional life is tough (so is life in the majors when you're junior). You work long hours and don't get paid well and eating fast food is not only unhealthy but it just gets old. My husband hated packing his lunches but he did it every day before we were married. I took over to ease his load.

Well, good luck!
Let me know if you become available! :) Just kidding--I'm happily married.

moscowcfi said:
Let me know if you become available! :) Just kidding--I'm happily married.
:D Flattery will get you everywhere. :)

Seriously though, I have come to realize that there are not many spouses out there willing to jump in and bear the load - especially in the airline industry. I think we tend to focus too much on ourselves (I'm guilty of that sometimes, I admit) and not enough on the difficulties our spouses face. This is a scary world and the airline industry has been hit hard by terrorism. I know terrorists continue to plague the airlines - and especially their flight and cabin crews - I think we, as spouses, often don't appreciate the danger our better half's face daily and the stress it puts them under. I try my hardest to make home life peaceful and a place of rest and relaxation. I try to get the cleaning and grocery shopping and cooking done when my husband is out of town so can make the most of his days off. Don't get me wrong, he helps out around the house plenty - he even does laundry! :D But I don't ever want him to feel like he HAS to - his life is stressful enough, the last thing he needs is a nagging wife or a homelife that is nothing but hard work. And I want to do whatever I can to make work-life easier for him. If that means I have to pack his lunch every day for the rest of my life, I would do it.

Wives need to be more understanding and even working wives really can't hold a candle to the kind of hard work and stress their husbands struggle with as pilots. I work as a legal assistant, my job is often stressful, but I never feel the kind of stress my husband feels when passengers are behaving strangely or there is a system malfunction or his plane gets hit by lightening... We could all use a little reminder from time to time that flying is a dangerous business - fun, but dangerous. It doesn't freak me out and I don't often dwell on the dangers my husband potentially faces routinely. I just try to keep everything in perspective and remember that I'm not alone in this marriage and my concerns are NOT the only ones that matter.

Optimist, well said.

If it wasnt for my wife helping me out, i would have never made it this far. She has supported me through all my endeavours and not once has she ever complained. The sad thing is that she is the bread maker in our relationship and she pulls in three times of what i make. Its good to see that their are so many women who support us and in turn so should we.

Sir Humpalot said:
The sad thing is that she is the bread maker in our relationship and she pulls in three times of what i make.
What's so sad about that? That's the way it SHOULD be. My wife had BETTER keep making that bread if she knows what's good fer 'er, I'll tell ya what. :D

I was thinking about printing out EternalOptimist's post on tips for packing lunches and putting it on the refrigerator, but decided against it... (Probably about as smart as buying her a vacuum cleaner for her birthday - - no, I didn't).

Then I read the follow-up post, and I'm seriosuly considering the risk vs. reward here...

Nahhh... I better keep my mouth shut.

Well, anyway....

Excellent posts, EternalOptimist. We'd all be lucky to have better halves with your positive attitude.

Hang in there guys (and gals)

I honestly wasn't trying to shame any of the hard-working spouses out there who are supporting their better half in the only way(s) they know how. I'm sure my husband would tell you that I'm not always there for him and that I don't always listen the way I should or show the kind of compassion and understanding that I could in many situations. We all have a selfish side. But I really try to and I really feel a responsibility to those of you who are in the industry to encourage you and let you know that there are people out there who understand and are pulling for you. I want to do whatever I can to help you Regional guys out - help you survive until you get to the majors. I remember all of the penny pinching and the hard work and pushing toward the goal that always seems to be out of reach. I also know what it's like to have reached the goal and feel the let-down when the anticipation of the thing was so much better than the thing itself.

But life goes on and there are so many wonderful qualities I enjoy in my husband. He is not defined by his job, he has so many other talents and interests and we have a great life that doesn't have any connection to what he or I do for a living. I think another trap spouses, family members and friends tend to fall into is thinking that being a pilot is enough of an explanation of who you are. How many times has your mother introduced you to someone and said "he's a pilot" - then you end up spending the evening talking about flying and answering stupid questions about the airlines and listening to every bad experience this person has ever had on every trip they've ever been on? You were hoping to get away from work and enjoy some time with family and meet some new people and you once again got sucked back into talking about work. My husband plays the piano and organ, he can also sing and he enjoys jazz and classical music. He likes to work with his hands and can build or fix anything he sets his mind to. He restored a 17' 1947 Chris Craft Runabout (wooden boat) and has a 1947 Chev. Coupe he's working on restoring to pull the boat with. He can cook and he has a green thumb. He saves us a lot of money by working on our vehicles himself and by doing maintenance around the house himself - another set of skills that have helped with our budget in the past - especially when he was a regional pilot. I try never to bring up work with him - I let him tell me whatever he wants to tell me - and he tells me a lot about what goes on in his work life. I am probably one of the more informed wives when it comes to contract negotiations, hiring predictions, un-reported emergencies, etc. But I let him talk about it when he wants to and when he wants to put it all behind him and just hang out with me, he can relax and know that I will not be one of those people who doesn't let him forget what he does for a living.

Keep on keepin' on guys. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

If you are really into the health kick, I find a great way to pack in a meal without the space is to bring protein bars or premade protein shakes. They fill you up for a few hours and cost about 1/4 of a full meal. Plus I found out quick (with my border-line high blood pressure) that ramen noodles and canned foods are usually loaded with lethal amounts of sodium. If your blood pressure is a concern, definitely consider the protein bar approach and a few sandwiches.

I also leave a bunch of frozen stuff in the major hub crew room freezers. It's typical to hit ORD or LGA what seems like 90 times over the course of a four day trip. Leave stuff there and tote it out with you on the last leg of the day for some dinner.

I wish I had a wife to tell me how cool/danegrous my job is. Sometimes, well $hit, most times, I forget about that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back