• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PA-28 to Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least in the Pacific you can survive in a life raft, in the North Atlantic forget it. I too have tried to imagine flying the North Atlantic in a little airplane, I have just had too many problems to feel comfortable. (5 single engine failures, 4 engine failures in a twin-and one CJ610 in a Learjet-all were major failures and had to be shut down)So far the JT8D and the CFM-56 have treated me very well.

Wow, flying across the Pacific in a single. It sounds like something my friends and I would have loved to try when we were young!

Counselair

Post Script: Three of them died in plane crashes, one in the water a half mile from shore. No $hit.:(

I've been reading this thread with interest, and have been debating whether or not I'd ever go through with such a thing.

I think I finally decided that I'd do it. I don't have a family of my own, so nobody's life would be significantly altered if I ended up being killed.

Once I have a wife and kids, my thinking would likely change.

If you dwell on death, drowning, and failure, you're setting yourself up for it. Ferrying airplanes is done very day, east and west. Ferrying an airplane is a professional act, not a moment or heroic endevor, not a sign of lack of intelligence, not a rash act. It's a job. Like any job, it requires forethought, planning, and attention to detail. It's not rocket science.

It's not a matter of large testicles, nor of willpower, or guts. It's about planning ahead, and preparing, and then doing. Listening to some of these comments is reminiscent of the fear of the "sound barrier", or so many other mythical imagined realms of flying. It's just a flight. Make it once with someone who has the experience, and then start making the trips on your own.

There's very little long distance ferry movement of airplanes, right now. Comparitively, the business is dead.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back