PA-28 to Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well,

Thank you to everyone for the input. I've met a couple of guys that have done this before and feel comfortable with my prospects for a safe flight. As long as no issues arise with the aircraft and the owner says go, I'm off. It'll be a couple of months yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Try doing it in a 172. You are required to get a waiver from the FAA for overweight ops and I believe you operate in the Restricted category not experimental.

Switching to bladder tank(s)

The funniest story I ever heard was a guy flying for an extended period of time over water in a single-engine airplane and could not get the fuel in the bladder tank flowing and almost ran out of fuel.

I've flown over water personally for extended periods of time in the southern Atlantic ocean with minimal navigation and it gets extremely lonely, dark and quiet, especially on a moonless night. On a clear night you will wish you had more knowledge of celestial bodies.

Your trip will most likely be uneventful.

When I made my trips over the water, I would find myself looking down on the white caps of the waves wondering if I would be able to successfully time and coordinate a ditching without power as depicted in the FAR/AIM.

My recommendation, if time permits, would be to enlist the help of a seaplane pilot instructor to show you how to make a glassy water landing or a normal landing on water just to familiarize yourself with the technique of water landing.

If you try a water landing, you will want to get your seaplane pilot's rating. I eventually got my rating and it was a blast.

Finally, I cheated on my route. I would plan my flights over islands and along routes that overflew the shipping lanes---kind of a stepping stone flight plan. I know you won't have any islands to fly over but what about shipping lanes? Anything going your way?

Have a great trip!

I wouild not do it unless....

I had a 2nd pilot alot can happen unexpected. Something like a foreign body in the eye , sudden nausea , diarrhea , bloody nose migraine , vertigo or many other things that on the ground are no sweat but over the pacific ocean can spell a disaster. I am far from an ATP but than again I carry 2 backup pairs of eyeglasses when I fly !

You would be surpirsed how many small planes fly out over the Atlantic and Pacific... I know I was... :p

Tip's... all of the big boys out over the ocean monitor guard and very often pass info to one another via it... when they have HF problems they use guard to have other A/C relay messages to ATC. They are always very helpful with assisting other pilots out over the water. Oakland Center (ZOA) controls all ATC over the Pacific. You could always contact the center to speak with a controller about your trip. Remember, as with all oceanic ATC you will be using HF to speak with ArInc who then relays info to ATC. If you feel you need assistance or anything pressing you can request a phone patch with ATC and speak with the controler directly.

Good Luck and have a safe flight !!!

We also monitor 123.45 as oceanic enroute common. I talked to a guy one night over the Atlantic (and cold it was) ferrying a C182 across. I though he was nuts.

I've got one phrase for ferrying light aircraft of unknown condition over vast expanses of water . . . . all balls and no forehead.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back