• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

P.O.S. CL-65 ECS System

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the cockpit and cabin have two different climate control systems, I wonder why they don't design the cabin controls to be located IN the cabin for the FA's to deal with? That way they're not bugging you guys when you're trying to read a week old USA Today. :p

i've never heard of a cabin temp sensor by the door. my understanding is it is mid-cabin. i was checking it out the other day. i'm looking at a schematic of the ecs right now in the bombardier fcom and it shows the sensor as being mid-cabin.

i never read a week-old usa today. the pax leave plenty of current ones for me.:cool:

Last edited:
The cabin sensor is above row 7 on the right hand side. If you look in the overhead bin youll see a box in the aft section of the bin. Theres a fan in there that ducts the air around the cabin temp sensor.

My experience with the Auto mode at first was that is was a POS. After doing some research on how the system works I havent had many complaints.

In auto the packs will try and keep the cabin temp constant. The temp knob has a range of temps from 15c(full cold) to 30c(full hot) thats the temps youre telling the system you want the cabin at. So if you select full cold on a very cold morning, say -10c, and the cabin temp is at 8c on the ECS page, the pack output valves will be full open showing a high temp say 80c. If you just let the temp settle down it works great.

Just my experience

Bum

Last edited:
One of the problems that I've noticed with the CRJ air conditioning system in automatic mode is that it will either be 3-degree Celsius air coming in, or 50 + degree air coming in. I stay in manual mode and keep the flight deck around 20 degree output air (in the winter).... and cooler in the summer. As far as the cabin goes, it depends on how many people are back there. There really is a difference in how much body heat 50 pax give off versus 10 pax. Usually output air of approx. 35 degrees will work and then you can adjust from there. One thing to note is that when you are in the manual mode, you need to adjust it as you climb and descend.

The thing that annoys me the most is that right after you've started the APU and first get the packs on (in automatic) it gets so **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** hot... even with the temp selector turned down. So I go right to manual mode to avoid that nuisance.

bigD said:
If the cockpit and cabin have two different climate control systems, I wonder why they don't design the cabin controls to be located IN the cabin for the FA's to deal with? That way they're not bugging you guys when you're trying to read a week old USA Today. :p

Good point, they could have a knob for automatic mode with a switch that enables F/A's to use it in the cockpit. As far as Manual mode goes? No way! They would be over-temping and over-pressurizing the packs all day long for grandma! :)

bigD said:

After dealing with the system in the Dash - 8 where the FA had a knob that would add a little trim air to the cabin supply when needed, I thought that all airline aircraft FA panels should be equipped with an impressive looking knob that isn't attached to anything. They could fiddle with that thing all day and believe they were responsible for the wild temperature swings in the back. It would at least stop the constant calls to the cockpit to warm / cool it off back there.

When I was Captain on the 737 I had to brief the back end crew that I would only accept environmental criticism from the 'A' FA, since there were three different opinions as to the quality of the environment between them. That way they could fight it out between themselves and arrive at a consensus before calling up front.

After 11 years in the airline industry, I am finally flying an aircraft with a decent ECS. The NG 737's have a system that keeps the calls from the back down to around a couple a week. Thank God.

Our ECS isn't the best in the DoJet, but with the FA having their own temp control knob (well, touchpad.. whatever), you'd never know we had a tail gunner on board.

Gotta love the placebo effect.....

Patriot

Latest resources

Back