• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

owning a T-38

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T-38 is an OUTSTANDING airframe: easy to fly, easy to land, and very easy in formation.

As others have said, supersonic isn't as big a thrill as you would think - at altitude with no real perspective on the speed. The T-38 was great down low, especially in formation!

If I had the money, I would actually purchase a T-37 instead (I don't have any hearing left anyway). It's much less expensive to operate and much easier for "non-pilots" to fly when you take them up for a spin - think C-172 on steroids (if you really want a thrill, try the OA-37. It's a T-37 with T-38 engines minus the burners).

T-38 is an OUTSTANDING airframe: easy to fly, easy to land, and very easy in formation.

As others have said, supersonic isn't as big a thrill as you would think - at altitude with no real perspective on the speed. The T-38 was great down low, especially in formation!

If I had the money, I would actually purchase a T-37 instead (I don't have any hearing left anyway). It's much less expensive to operate and much easier for "non-pilots" to fly when you take them up for a spin - think C-172 on steroids (if you really want a thrill, try the OA-37. It's a T-37 with T-38 engines minus the burners).

THE GREAT CONVERTER!

A T-37 would be awesome!

Another good choice would be the Alpha Jet. Two place, two engines, great airframe and excellent handling qualities, good spare support. Out the door all tricked up with hot seats for around 2.7 million.

That's Chuck Thornton's pride and joy, and has been for sale for like 10 years now. He found it in a barn in the midwest somewhere when a student landed gear up in a field.

Is that story for real, sounds too good to be true, the AF didn't reclaim that bird?

That jet is Ross Perot, Jr's personal T-38. I saw it in July, and it looks like the aft end has some F-5 parts on it.

What exactly is the difference between an F-5 and a T-38?

Another good choice would be the Alpha Jet. Two place, two engines, great airframe and excellent handling qualities, good spare support. Out the door all tricked up with hot seats for around 2.7 million.

How about an L-39, those go for around $300k, does anyone know anything about them, besides being relatively cheap?

T-38 Range (no wind) is about 750 nm at FL 390. It will take you about 3400# of fuel from engine start to shutdown. Having been supersonic in the T-38, believe me that you're not missing anything. The difference between .9 and 1.0 Mach is about,... 1 mile per minute.... and a lot of fuel. Going 420 knots at 500' is WAY more fun than going supersonic.

I agree, also having flown it.

The best part of the supersonic flight was the unrestricted climb to FL390 at 18,000 fpm. Supersonic was cool just to fill the square, but once I did it, I never felt compelled to do it again.

How about an L-39, those go for around $300k, does anyone know anything about them, besides being relatively cheap?

Simply no comparison to the Alpha Jet. The AJ is still in active srevice with various NATO countries and is used by the French AF equivalent of the Thunder Birds. Please no French jokes, just reporting the facts.

Simply no comparison to the Alpha Jet. The AJ is still in active srevice with various NATO countries and is used by the French AF equivalent of the Thunder Birds. Please no French jokes, just reporting the facts.

Whoops, didn't mean to imply a comparison. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with them.

I've got 1.5 in one. Long takeoff roll especially high/hot. Not very long legs either, unless you have the external tanks put on.

The upside is that there are plenty of parts around for them and I think the L-59 is still in service. The other upside is great visibility and a tandem setup, not the side-by-side cockpit of the Tweet or the Tutor.

The guys up in Rockford, Il can tell you everything you need to know.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back