owning a T-38

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

John2375

I saw this ad, and also a website, for a company that sells T-38s to people. They're aircraft the military is done with, this company refurbishes them (if necessary) and sells them, at not much more than a "typical" aircraft. They also offer training as part of the package.
I'm just curious though, since they can go supersonic, I know you can't go breaking the sound barrier wherever you feel like it. Even the military is restricted unless dealing w/an emergency. If you owned one of these aircraft, could you eveer go supersonic at all anywhere?? What about getting a certain distance off shore and breaking the sound barrier where you wouldn't bother anyone? Possible or not?
If I ever had the money, it'd be pretty neat to have one I think, but pointless if you couldn't go supersonic at least every now and then - otherwise it'd be like having a fancy car but never being able to go anywhere but around the block and never above 3rd gear! LOL
Thanks

I saw this ad, and also a website, for a company that sells T-38s to people. They're aircraft the military is done with, this company refurbishes them (if necessary) and sells them, at not much more than a "typical" aircraft. They also offer training as part of the package.
I'm just curious though, since they can go supersonic, I know you can't go breaking the sound barrier wherever you feel like it. Even the military is restricted unless dealing w/an emergency. If you owned one of these aircraft, could you eveer go supersonic at all anywhere?? What about getting a certain distance off shore and breaking the sound barrier where you wouldn't bother anyone? Possible or not?
If I ever had the money, it'd be pretty neat to have one I think, but pointless if you couldn't go supersonic at least every now and then - otherwise it'd be like having a fancy car but never being able to go anywhere but around the block and never above 3rd gear! LOL
Thanks

Yes there are certain areas that you can go supersonic with the proper coordination with ATC.

Well that's cool - do you know, basically, where those areas are?
Off-shore somewhere I'm thinking??

Also what's the range of a T-38? No chance of getting it to Hawaii, is there?!!??

Those guys did a great job with Hot Shots!

They pilot the backbone of our proud American arsenal, the Oscar EW5894 Phallus Tactical Fighter/Bomber. With a lightweight, swept-wing design that makes it extremely maneuverable and agile. Beneath its skin of 21st Century composites, is a highly advanced avionics and weapons package. Designed for speed and combat acrobatics, it features the latest Mrs. Helver series, 3800 radar jamming phrammas.

Those guys did a great job with Hot Shots!

They pilot the backbone of our proud American arsenal, the Oscar EW5894 Phallus Tactical Fighter/Bomber. With a lightweight, swept-wing design that makes it extremely maneuverable and agile. Beneath its skin of 21st Century composites, is a highly advanced avionics and weapons package. Designed for speed and combat acrobatics, it features the latest Mrs. Helver series, 3800 radar jamming phrammas.

Duh...what did you say?

T-38 Range (no wind) is about 750 nm at FL 390. It will take you about 3400# of fuel from engine start to shutdown. Having been supersonic in the T-38, believe me that you're not missing anything. The difference between .9 and 1.0 Mach is about,... 1 mile per minute.... and a lot of fuel. Going 420 knots at 500' is WAY more fun than going supersonic.

I have no T38 time but I did ride around in the back of an F5B on a few occasions and your right about going fast and low as we had an Alpha Jet and Yes we did fly fast and veryyy low. A real bast! Also got got landings in that airplane which would never of happened in the F5.

Latest resources

Back