Overhead bins expand to fit more carry-on luggage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

Crowded planes and bulkier carry-on bags are forcing airlines to expand their overhead bins, according to a report by the Associated Press.United and Delta are the latest airlines to replace or upgrade bins to hold more luggage.

About 87% of passengers carry on bags on United Continental flights, the airline told the AP. And the bags are getting bigger.

READ MORE: Airline bag fees climb as high as $450
ALSO ONLINE: New rules require airlines to disclose fees in airfares

Travelers have been carrying on bigger and more bags to avoid baggage fees, which most airlines now charge. Flight attendants have complained of more injuries from having to deal with heavy bags.

The AP reports the following changes:

United will replace bin doors on all of its Airbus A320s starting in April. The new doors curve out more to let passengers slide bags into bins wheels-first instead of sideways. The planes will hold 106 roll-on bags, up from 64.

Delta Air Lines is adding new bins to 767 jets on international routes such as Atlanta to Paris. The bins hold 26 more bags than the ones they're replacing.

ALSO ONLINE: Loot confiscated by TSA turns into revenue for states
TWITTER: Follow Travel's Nancy Trejos

American Airlines' new 737s will hold 48 more bags than the planes they are replacing. The planes, however, have 24 more seats. The older 737s also are getting new bin doors that curve out more.

Boeing is designing bins in its new 787 to hold a standard 9 x 14 x 22-inch roll-aboard bag. Designers used to focus on maximizing cubic inches, which was not a good fit for carry-on luggage, Kent Craver, Boeing's cabin expert, told the AP.

Airlines also are getting tougher on travelers who have oversize carry-on bags, the AP reported. United, for instance, is conducting an experiment at a few airports. Agents have been instructed to look for bags that are too big or for passengers who are carrying on too much.

Continental has had the big overhead bins since 2005 when the last of the MD-80's retired and with them, the standard overhead bins. l-UAL birds are being upgrading, not CAL birds. I have had to check a standard rollerbag on a 767-300 even though I had the last 10 rows to myself and plenty of space was available in the bin. The bin just could not hold my bag, and it is a 22 inch PNT.

I wonder when they are going to readjust th average pax weights for this. That's about 1000lbs that will "vanish..."

I wonder when they are going to readjust th average pax weights for this. That's about 1000lbs that will "vanish..."

I always wondered that too. I am a not big yet my bag and I weigh over 250lbs and the W/b lists me as 190. Yeah right! what about those big people that get on the plane weighing 250 already and then add their bags.

I wonder what we actually weigh on everytakeoff as the runway end is approaching and we have not even reached V1.

Measure with a micrometer, cut with a big axe.
Wonder if the increased turn times as everyone piles in with more stuff is worth the bag fee?
My guess is yes at the hub and spoke carriers- no rigs, so all they are paying for is an idle airplane which allows for more connects in their system anyway.

Latest resources

Back