Over 60? C'Ya!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rick1128,

Like your answer. Do you have a reference? Different subject perhaps, but something else I've been dealing with.

A POI misinformed? Thats incredible, that must be a first :)

I agree with Rick, Part 135 IFR requires an SIC I believe for passenger flights, but you MAY choose to have an autopilot in lieu of the SIC requirement. But it does not say that if you have an autopilot, that it prevents you from having an SIC.

However, our POI as well as many on this board have pointed out the loggability issues of two pilot operations in aircraft requiring only one pilot. And yes, I know we could change our op specs to require SICs, and so on.

OpSpecs have nothing to do with it. If the aircraft carries passengers under 135, a SIC is already required. You may obtain OpSpec A015 which authorizes us of an autopilot in lieu of a SIC, but the SIC is still authorized because this is basic to Part 135...the SIC is always required unless operating under an exemption issued by OpSpec.

Obviously a SIC must be qualified to act as SIC under Part 135, including experience and training requirements.

Get different insurance.

Two Pilot King Air Ops

Guys,

One thing to remember ... if you opt to use a SIC for passenger ops with six or more pax seats, turbine powered (i.e. KingAir) you need a CVR. No CVR it has to be single pilot!!

One of those little "Gotchya" things that many, many folks miss.

TransMach

TransMach said:
Guys,

One thing to remember ... if you opt to use a SIC for passenger ops with six or more pax seats, turbine powered (i.e. KingAir) you need a CVR. No CVR it has to be single pilot!!

TransMach

Source?

C

Corona

TransMach said:
Guys,

Alot of operators are in the dark over this 135 regulation,but our local FAA office told us it will be enforced.

Last edited:
Source?

Mate,

Certainly, 14CFR135.151(a) which reads, in part:

"... (a) No person may operate a multiengine, turbine-powered airplane or rotorcraft having a passenger seating configuration of six or more and for which two pilots are required by certification or operating rules unless it is equipped with an approved cockpit voice recorder that: ..." blah blah blah

Uncortunately, there aren't a list of exceptions at the bottom of the rule.

FAR 135 requires that for IFR operations carrying passengers that the crew consists of a minimum of two pilots. Autopilot authorization is allowable in lieu of a required second in command, but if two pilots are used rather than an autopilot, the CVR is required if the airplane is configurated for six or more passengers.

Other questions?

TransMach

However, back on subject...

our insurance company will allow over 60 pilots but only if they wear Depends while on doody (sic) duty

pilotman121 said:
It is hard for most customers to feel comfortable flying single pilot with older pilots,that is why we always run two pilots on all of our operations.There are alot of qualified King-Air 200 pilots depending on your pay,benefits and quality of life.

HA! I wish I could buy that one but I completely disagree and have not seen such over the years. Majority of all customers that I have flown 135/91 in the past felt much more assured with the older pilot(s) up front due to the experience level(s), previous accomplishments, work history, total time, etc, etc, . . The list can go on and on and on. "Age" isn't a show stopper in any way, I have come to know quite a few pilots in their mid to late 60's who had no problem at all being "insurable" to operate single pilot. If you are able to hold a first class medical then no complications usually come up. One captain inparticular is 76 and he routinely operates single pilot in a King Air 300 under 135. If the pilot is in good health, sharp, etc, then this "age" issue is no longer an issue for the obvious reasons.

The same could be said for the young 20's something cap ee tin who is in the left seat but the argument doesn't carry much weight.

Age isn't relevant here no matter how one attempts to spin it off.

Experience, flight time(s), previous work history, etc, cannot be over ridden by "age".

Latest resources

Back