• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of Commission

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
just think, after this is over, you're free and clear!!! nothing else could possibly go wrong! good luck! and since you have mothered some children, let us know if the old saying about passing stones being more painful than childbirth is true or not.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

I have had this problem since I got kicked by a horse when I was 11 years old. He shattered my spleen and got my left kidney in the process. They almost had to remove it, but they managed to save it.

I was scheduled for the same surgery in 1993. When I went to the ER back then, I had eight stones in my left kidney. I had two weeks before the surgery, so I did an all natural method of herbs. By the time they did my surgery, there were only two left, they have been reduced in size and they did not go through with the surgery.

This time is different. I have multiple stones and several that are 3 mm, in addition to the 6 mm one. They are now going to do some type of lengthy study to find out why I produce these so often.

The last kidney stone I had happened at the NASCAR race in April. I could not walk and they had to take me to the ER by ambulance.

As for the question about passing a stone being more painful than childbirth - the answer is YES! It is childbirth times 100. The only thing that cuts the pain is morphine. The pain has been so bad this time that the doctor wrote a prescription for morphine until the surgery. For those of you that do not know, they never write that prescription.

I am thankful that I have friends and family to help me take care of the kids. They have been super.

Thanks again everyone for your concern!

Kathy

Good luck Kathy. My brother-in -law did the "shock waves" in the tub and it worked for him.

Hang in there!

Resume Writer said:
The last kidney stone I had happened at the NASCAR race in April. I could not walk and they had to take me to the ER by ambulance.

WOW! You really must have wanted to avoid that traffic to pass a kidney stone to byapss all that stuff! That traffic can get pretty horrible getting out of those things.

I wish you nothing but the best and speedy recovery. Watch out for that morphine garbage, I've seen folks get hooked on that stuff real quick when they are in that sort of pain. Once again, best wishes and thoughts for you.

Ken

About three years ago I had a stone the size of a pea. I went through three weeks of pain before I decided that enough was enough. On the day I went to the ER, I awoke at 6:00am and spent four hours in the bathroom doubled over. The pain started in my back and went towards my groin. The pain comes and goes in waves; each pain attack lasted about three hours. At 11:00am I am painfree, I drive myself to the ER and the triage nurse asks me what is wrong. I tell her that I think I have a kidney stone. She said for a man who has a kidney stone you sure look ok to me.

She asked me to describe the pain and the intensity of pain on a scale of 1 to 10. I told her that this is the most pain I have ever felt before. I have been hit head on by a car while riding a motorcycle and it doesn't compare. I finally saw a doctor about 8:00pm and an catscan was done which revealed a stone just small enough to pass. I asked the doctor for some pain medicine and the doctor asked me what I was taking for pain, I wasn't taking pain medicine but I was getting tired of the pain.

She asked me if I was in pain now which I replied not yet but another pain attack should be coming. Just as I said that I doubled over in pain and the doctor gave me a pain pill but told me since I drove myself to the ER I can't take the pill and leave. I would have to stay over night if I took it. I left and took the pill at home.

Next morning I am standing over the toilet peeing when I feel a quick pain in my wang. The stone came out and it sounded like a piece of gravel hitting the bowl. No more pain, no more stones.

Last edited:
Good luck Kathy. I feel for you. July of 1989 I had pain so bad I couldn't see and passed a 4mm stone. X-rays showed another 5mm stone, which I passed the next day. I wish I didn't, but I do know how you feel.
Hang in there.

-J

Good luck on your lithotripsy--I had a lithotripsy experience in 1985 in Charlottsville, Va. It turned out very well--pulverized the stones & passed out in my urine. BTW, the vast majority of kidney stones are found in males.

Kathy, I hope you feel better soon. Just a side note to all the guys reading this. A guy who I work with had a bid ole' stone last year and they had to insert a stint into his penis so it could pass. He told me he would have rather been dead than go through the pain of having a stint in his penis for a few days.

Good luck to you Kathy. I too have a stone, which has had me sidlined for the past four months! No medical until it passes.

You mentioned some herbal remedies. I would be interested in hearing about those. There is also a great deal of information available on stone prevention:

How to prevent Kidney stones:
http://www.rogerbaxter.com/KidneyStone/Pages/KidneyStone_4.html#Preventing

http://www.aafp.org/afp/991115ap/2269.html

Kidney Foundations:

http://www.kidney.org/

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/

Clear skies!

Thanks everyone for all the nice wishes and concern! I am glad that I am not alone in this - however, I do not wish this pain on anyone.

As for the herbal remedies, I went to a health food store and they had an herbal remedy book. I cannot remember the name of it, but it has an orange and black cover that is a picture of a lake at sunset.

In that book they have different remedies; one for diet, one for herbs, one for vitamins and one for body work. The book has just about every illness you could ever imagine and gives all remedies for each illness. I have used it for other things that have happened and so have my friends. Each time what they suggested has worked.

I have not had to take a morphine pill in about 3 days thank goodness. I know how addicting those things can get, so I am very careful with all medications.
Tomorrow will be a day of rest. I have been very tired the past few days due to the extreme pain that was happening over the 4th of July weekend, since I could not get in to see my doctor. I am sure I will be fine, however, I do not like the idea of surgery at all!!

Kathy

Latest resources

Back