Out of Aviation, on to Auto

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AAMCO > FAA

A very close friend of mine went from AAMCO Transmissions to A&P wrenching for AmeriFlight and then (dare I say) the FAA as a maintenance inspector. I think his wages were good with AAMCO then went down when he went to AmeriFlight then back up with the Feds.

Tweek

PS. `How to make a small fortune in aviation'...`start with a large fortune'

Tweek,

Uncle Sam’s a great employer:)

Barnie,

Try telling avbug and trafficinsight that!!

Freightdogs,

Glad to hear it's working out for you. As for sears. My old man does alright with his craftsman tools. If that's what you can afford (like me) then go for it. Keep ebay, and the local classifieds in mind. I've posted this group a few times on here, but want to make sure you get it. These guys are a great help. No flame wars either.
http://groups.msn.com/AutoTechsOnline

It is so

Been doing this for a few years now and my Craftsman hold up just fine. If I do break something, Sears is usually just down the street. I don't have to go chasing after anybody. There are a few items that only Snapon will have, but in my opinion (which is what it comes down to) there is nothing wrong with filling your box with Craftsman.

still doesn't make it so

Like I said, it is the convience. You say Sears is usually down the road????? Never heard of a mobile Sears (just kidding) My first set of tools was a gift from my dad. They were Craftsman and worked very well My friend got his first set from Penneys. Then were Penncraft. Think the spelling is right.
Both worked good. When it comes to hard, everyday usage, stick with the pro, Snap-on and the like. Look in the boxes of the line mechs. Barnie

My toolbox is filled with a varity of tools. Snap-on, Matco, but mostly Craftsman. I think they are all good tools, but Snap-on and Matco definatly are higher quality.

I never bought much from the Snap-on guy since he was a major prick and horrible salesman. He always gave us a hard time over tool warrenties, and was hard to get a hold of. Unless you owed him money. then he always seemed to find you!! I bought most of my Snap-on tools off of Ebay. Got a 1/2" dr 24" breaker bar(like new) for $32. Snap-on price...$85

It was much easier for me to go to Sears, and they take back broken tools no questions asked. Also I'd say about 95% of the toolboxes in the hangar were craftsman. Mines a Husky and I like it very much. No need to pay $6,000 for a toolbox, especially on what we were getting paid

roger that

I can agree with you on that. Some tool truck drivers are just out there to get the money. There doesn't seem to be that "servive after the sale" mind set that used to prevail years ago. But, there are the minority. Most of the guys are cool and will go the extra for you. Those are the ones that used to be the mechs in the shops and know how it is on the other side of the fence.
The last squadron I was in was in New Orleans and we shared a hanger with Raytheon. They did the contract work on the C-12's. Their boxes were the Craftsmen, Huskies and so on. There was only a small amount of tools in them and the tool room had the big stuff.
In a dealership, the mech keeps all of his stuff with him so his box has to be big.
Speaking of work, time for me to get ready. Have a good one, Barnie

I have to resist laughing hysterically when I hear people whining about craftsman tools. I have eleven boxes of tools set up in five rollaways and side cases, and more of them are craftsman than not. I don't think in twenty years I've ever managed to break a craftsman tool. It's certainly possible, but I've never done it. Then again, I don't abuse them, either. I've heated them, welded them modified them, etc...just like we all do to make our speciality tools for various specific applications...no problem at all.

I have my MAC tools, I have my Snap-On tools, and they're good tools for the most part. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with Craftsman tools at all. I'd recommend any mechanic starting out go with craftsman over the pretty-boy names, just because a new mechanic shouldn't be putting his or her life in hoc over a bag of tools.

Same for roll-aways. Craftsman makes some fine rollaways; they do every bit the job that a MAC or Snap-on box will do, but for a lot less money.

Go into any major shop or hangar, and you'll find a whole lot more craftsman boxes than other names. I've known a few wrenches that spent twenty five grand on their box, complete with electronic remote lock, custom covers and colors, and the works, and for what??

I've found a few cases where only a snap-on socket would do because the wall was thinner and would just barely fit into a tight space...but even that isn't often. I've bought MAC or Snap-On where I couldn't get that particular tool from Sears, and I've always made a practice of buying one tool each time the MAC or Snap-On trucks come around...buy one tool and pay it off, buy another, pay it off...there's no question that the trucks are like a candy store, and the tools are a good investment. But nobody on God's green earth will ever convince me there's anything wrong with Craftsman tools.

I've got too many of them, and have used them too much to be convinced by all the rhetoric to the contrary.

You go buy your craftsman tools and use them all you like. They'll serve you well, and don't let anybody tell you differently. See for yourself.

Latest resources

Back