Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of Aviation, on to Auto

I was a service manager for a very large dealership in the Boston Area back in the 80's-90's. Best guys then were makinging 60K, so I would imagine that someooone that could hussle will do better now. The upsides: 1) The money, if you are good and fast, but,,, you need to be "creative" at times with how you write. 2) The hours, 8-4:30 or so, 40 hours a week, most places weekends and holidays off. 3) discount on cars (oh, yeah, you can make enough to buy a new buggy!!) 4)Usually good, payed or well subsidized benefits.

Downsides: 1) You have to really, really hustle to make money. You can't look at each bearing as you clean it. Slap-dash! So all your talent and careful skill goes out the window. 2) "Creative writing" Flat rate means you sort of sell your soul. You get paid by the tenth of the hour, so if you can write well, you will get paid more. But,, its worse than cheateing on your taxes, wears on you after a while.

I'm still in aviation, because I love it. And, I hate to see such talented people like yourselves go over. Until this industry figures out its priorities this is going to happen.
Best of luck

What a great topic. I thought It was just happening to me! For Example:

Question from interviewer: What do you know about automatic transmissions?

Answer from me- I had a problem with the C-6 tranny in my F-150, and because of my aviation background in hydraulic control and mechanical systems I decided to fix it myself. So I got a repair manual, pulled the tranny, tore the valve body down to every valve and spring, fabricated my own special tools to release and replace the clutch packs, measured all parts for wear, reassembled and installed the transmission, filled with fluid and road tested with no defects and a smooth new performance.

I drove the truck here today and have the reciepts for all the parts in the glove box.

Interviewer: So most of your experience is on airplanes, That really does not apply to automotive transmissions.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you did a great job,, but here is the problem. How long did it take? Flat rate I bet you would have gotten paid around 3 hours or so tops. Includes R&R. And, you get to fix ONLY the part that broke. Not a rebuild. Your superior mechanical skills for diagnosing and figuring out makes it hard to get paid. Sorry, just stating reality in the automotive world. Sucks, I know. Sigh.

I've thought about leaving aircraft maintenance to become a Wal Mart door greeter. Has anyone done this, and if so, what sort of problems have you encountered? What kind of questions would an interviewer ask for this position?

Wal Mart eh? ;) Well...at least you'll definitely have more job security than the lousy airline industry!!!!

For what it's worth, there was a guy that dumped the lavs for AirServ; a contract company, out here at the airport.

He did about 1 month at Wal Mart, got fired, and ended up back here at the airport.

Putting 2 and 2 together, apparently Mal Mart has higher hiring standards than the airport! :D

why auto

I've read all of the replies here and now here is one from someone that has been in the auto repair world for a loooonnnnnggggggg time. It's just like wanting to get into aviation (becoming a flight engineer for me), if you don't have it in your heart to do it, then you might be wasting your time.

Getting a line mech slot in a dealership os o.k. but don't expect big bucks to start with. You WILL need your own tools, both hand and power, some ASE certifications, and some specialized equipment. For example:
-A diagnostic scanner for the on-board computer. Must be able to go both ways, domestic and foreign.
-Fuel injection tester.
-Vacuum guage.
And so on. I'm sure you get the picture. A good place to scan for tools is in a catalog from either Snap-on or Mac. You can go on-line to see them. If you end up in a dealership, they will probably have some of the bigger stuff but plan on forking out some bucks to update your toolbox.
The tools trucks from the above brands usually come by the shop once a week to warranty broken tools and try and sell you some more.
The pay will vary some but is around 18-20/hr. Depending on your locale.
Going to an independant shop will probably get you a little more dollars/hr but count on them not having some of the bigger and more expensive equipment.
Anyway, I do hope it works out for you. I'm on the other side, trying to get OUT on automotive and back into aviation. Barnie

Tanks

Thanks for all the advice, Its good to hear from some folks with auto experience. I will definitely upgrade my tools, although with two toddlers it will be from sears in lue of snap-on. As for interviews , I took your advice and kept my job experience simple and to the point. struts, engines, gearboxes blah blah blah....My first interview over the phone was an education for sure.

I actually interviewed at an FBO/ freight expiditer (sp?) and found myself laughing out loud. The business manager and the VP gave the interview and I never got the chance to talk with any of the guys on the floor or the DOM. The man must have had a bird on his shoulder cause I kept hearing "cheap, cheap cheap". They wouldn't pay and they were looking for desperate people or new people that would work nights weekends, on call and OT for no money! Does any of this sound familiar? And when I asked about vendor schools I got a dumb look of surpprise.
Anybody still got that Garrett tpe331 book with the cartoon on the back cover with the caption -
"Think training is expensive?....Try IGNORANCE"

I gotta find that.
Thanks to all

tell me it isn't so....

I saw the line about using Sears tools and now I have to put this in, Craftsman tools are o.k. for the 'at-home' mech puttering around on the weekends but please consider using GOOD quality tools. Go to a service center or dealership and peruse their mech's boxes, you won't see too many Sears tools. Reason being, they cannot stand up to daily usage. All tools break but the bigger names don't break as often. Alot of the drivers (Snap-On, Mac and so on) have cell phones with them and if you run into an emergency they usually will make the extra trip and bring you a replacement. It boils down to convience. I don't aim to badmouth Sears and by reading what I just wrote, it would seem I have stock in the other companies (I don't). Sears makes a good tool so if you need to use them for now, go ahead. Hope it all works for you. Barnie

Latest resources

Back