Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of Aviation 6 years; BEST ROUTE BACK? ANYONE have any IDEAS or ADVICE?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rob,

You don't know me and this advice is worth what ou paid for it, but listen carefully:

You're a professional Pilot. You do not pay for your training, your employer pays for your training.

The type of operations willing to have you fund their obligations are the same bottom-feeding scumbag operators who will expect you to break the rules and risk your life in their poorly maintained crap..

You should however, present yourself as current. consider going out in someone's Seminole for a few hours and finish up with an instrument competency check. That would go a long way towards showing potential employers that you are serious about returning to the cockpit.

Good Luck.

Rob,

Things are way different than they were when you left 6 years ago. If you were to ask this question this time last year the answers would have been totally different because the hiring environment was totally different. Over the past 6 months to a year the regionals have hiring like crazy and have even been hiring people with such low time as 250TT and 25 multi. With that being said most of these new hires don't have their CFI's anymore. Also schools are loosing CFIs at a high rate as the regionals hire the CFIs. With that said a lot of flight schools around the country are hurting for CFIs. If your CFI is current then I'd say one of the easiest ways to get back in would be to go to the local flight school and do some CFI work. You'd be home every night and the age 60 thing wont matter. If your CFI is not current and you don't want to do the CFI thing then I'd say it is NOT worth going thru the hassle of re-doing the CFI because you will be able to get a job with out doing that. One way you could get into a non CFI job would be to get current by renting a seminole or something like that. While you do that you could brush up on some FARs and instrument type stuff which would also get you ready for the questions that would be asked on interviews. With that you should be able to easily get on at the regional of your choice and would also be fairly competitive to find a decent charter/135/FBO type job.

As it was said before most companies should pay for the training and the ones that would want you to pay would more than likely be ones that would cut corners in the other aspects of the company and you would have a good chance in ending up in a similar situation to the one that drove you out of the industry in the first place.

I would GLADLY pay for my training "ANYWHERE" to get back in the saddle.
DOES ANYONE KNOW if there is ANY COMPANY out there that 'might' hire someone as myself if I paid for my own training

A little disturbing to say the least.

One of the reasons airline pay has gone down the toilet is because people like this are willing to selfishly do whatever it takes to get that airline job.

Guys like this allow pft airlines (GIA) to remain profitable. :puke:

Rob,

You don't know me and this advice is worth what ou paid for it, but listen carefully:

You're a professional Pilot. You do not pay for your training, your employer pays for your training.

The type of operations willing to have you fund their obligations are the same bottom-feeding scumbag operators who will expect you to break the rules and risk your life in their poorly maintained crap..

You should however, present yourself as current. consider going out in someone's Seminole for a few hours and finish up with an instrument competency check. That would go a long way towards showing potential employers that you are serious about returning to the cockpit.

Good Luck.

WINNER WINNER WINNER

Good luck to ya Rob. Go fly the 'nole for a few hours, get instrument current, and start firing off resumes. You'll do fine.

Per the responses to date, you shouldn't PFT nor, in this environment, do you need to. As far as currency goes, a BFR/PIC and/or a new rating or checkout should re-qualify you as "current" for interviewing in many cases, but most require some nominal sort of time in certain timeframes that might require instructing or something. Once meeting those minimums, you are hirable all over the place for now, at least as far as getting back in the game.

Latest resources

Back