Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Almerick07

Professional Surf Bum
I will be going to OTS in about a year from now and was wondering besides the typical drill, academics, pt, insane time management and whatnot if there is anything "extracurricular" or is it basically a 24/7 training environment? I am looking forward to this callenge and am just trying to get some details so I can go into it as prepared as possible, thanks.

I graduated last month, it wasn't too bad. It is a suckfest though. Academics are actually pretty important. Time management really is the key, you'll be able to get alot more done after going through it. PT isn't hard at all, just don't be stupid, and learn from the prior-enlisted, they are the key to your success. There is alot of wasted time, but you'll feel pretty good about yourself when it's all done. Good Luck

As far as academics go what did they cover? Cant be all that warrior knowledge stuff can it...12 weeks seems like a bit much for that. Is there anything to "look forward to" as in team sports (besides ultimate frisbee). Are there any free or maybe even just fun weekends or days scheduled in that 3 month period?

Almerick07 said:
Cant be all that warrior knowledge stuff can it...12 weeks seems like a bit much for that.

Nice. Be glad you aren't trying to get commissioned as a Marine. Six months of "warrior knowledge stuff" upon commissioning, regardless of MOS.

MECEPGrad said:
Nice. Be glad you aren't trying to get commissioned as a Marine. Six months of "warrior knowledge stuff" upon commissioning, regardless of MOS.

Back when I went through OCS we had a big atheltic competition between the AF OTS guys at MGM, Army OCS, and Navy OCS guys. Talk about a bunch of cream puffs outta OTS... it was almost as if they didn't show up. Talking with them afterwards at the BBQ we had, it sounded more like summer school. I mean no yelling, berating, rifle PT in the sand? They were bitching about running a 12 minute 1.5 mile! Marines now, had Quantico been close enough, would have run there, won it all (instead of us) and then run home again.

Almerick,

I went through about two years ago and mgg20's description is pretty much on point. OTS, like many other AETC courses, won't necessarily challenge you physically as much as it will mentally. The academics range from "warrior knowledge" to public speaking to writing EPR/OPRs. You should be able to get a good idea of what to expect if you google some online journals as well; there's a bunch out there. Good luck.

MECEPGrad said:

This dude wishes he was in the Air Force.

Don't think that you are a bada$$ because you attended TBS. We both know that TBS really sucks and if you had the grades you should have been in the Air Force.

USMCAirWinger said:
This dude wishes he was in the Air Force.

Don't think that you are a bada$$ because you attended TBS. We both know that TBS really sucks and if you had the grades you should have been in the Air Force.

I wish I was in the Air Force? Thanks for telling me because I never knew. Yeah, TBS sucks, that's why I said be glad you don't have to do it.

Any other reading comprehension questions I can help you with?

AD SUPT Hopeful said:
The last five or so of your posts have centered around how much "awesomer" Marines are than us lowly Air Force peons. What's the deal dude, are you secretly in love with us?

No, just with you. I want to know how you became so insecure.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back