"Other approaches"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MTpilot

I have a student who is ready for his instrument ride. Only problem is ya have to shoot at least 3 approaches no two of which can be VOR based, we don't have GPS in our airplanes, we do have an ADF but there is no NDB approach on the field, the examiner said he couldn't make one up for the local NDB because the FAA won't let them do that anymore. No PAR or SAR available. The approaches we have are VOR A, B, C and the ILS 11. (KMSO). Any Ideas?

MTpilot said:
I have a student who is ready for his instrument ride. Only problem is ya have to shoot at least 3 approaches no two of which can be VOR based, we don't have GPS in our airplanes, we do have an ADF but there is no NDB approach on the field, the examiner said he couldn't make one up for the local NDB because the FAA won't let them do that anymore. No PAR or SAR available. The approaches we have are VOR A, B, C and the ILS 11. (KMSO). Any Ideas?

How about VOR, ILS, and back course if one is available, if not, can you just ignore the glideslope and shoot a localizer only?

Rattler71

MTpilot said:
Only problem is ya have to shoot at least 3 approaches no two of which can be VOR based, we don't have GPS in our airplanes, we do have an ADF but there is no NDB approach on the field, the examiner said he couldn't make one up for the local NDB because the FAA won't let them do that anymore. No PAR or SAR available. The approaches we have are VOR A, B, C and the ILS 11. (KMSO). Any Ideas?

How about ILS 11
VOR-A
ILS-11 Localiser only Circle to the opposite direction?

If possible to do the ILS (LOC only) approach w/ the PT (if allowed) that would be cool. If not, do the VOR-A with the PT, the ILS and LOC with Vectors to Final.

That's all I got...maybe there's another ILS in the area you can have him do w/o the GS....

-mini

I pilled wine on my computer I m loing letter .

Hmmmmmmm..... Loclizer only, I will hve to run tht by the eminer.

Lil Jon said:
hmm thats tough unless you go to another airport. what about a LOC only? goodluck

My thought exactly.

Rattler71

Last edited:
MTpilot said:

Tell him to have your stu go missed on the opposite direction circle if he's not convinced it's hard enough...lots of peeps forget the turn toward the landing runway on the miss...

-mini

MTpilot said:
And tell the examiner to get you a new keyboard, yours is leaving out ALL kinds of letters! j/k ;)

I've had a similar situation come up with a few of my instrument students that were using one of our 172s that only had dual VOR receivers and nothing else. The examiner I use was always cool with having the student fly a VOR approach, an ILS, and then a localizer to the same runway. Thankfully we have another 172 now with an ADF.

How did you meet the requirements for the IFR cross country? Did you fly to an airport with an NDB approach? Be careful with using an ILS for one approach and a ILS- localizer only for a second approach on the cross country. We had an instructor do that with a student, and the FAA inspector said that the ILS and LOC approaches did not count for the requirement of doing three approaches using different navigational facilities and they had to do the x/c over again. I guess that according to them, an ILS is an ILS whether you do it as a precision or a non precision approach. I thought that was a bad interpretation of the rule since the approaches are flown much differently, but that's what the guy said.
I don't have a PTS, but I am pretty sire that there is no requirement to do 3 approaches using "different" navigational facilities on the practical test.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back