Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
I have this Dana 44 front axle, which was extracted from a 1979 F-250. The tag on the differential carrier claims the gear ratio is 4.09. I counted all the teeth on the ring-gear, then the pinion gear, and after dividing the numbers, the ratio was indeed 4.09:1...

Now I'm in need of a rear axle for my project, and I would like to find an axle with the same gear ratio, so as to save time and money. The problem I'm running into, is that all the rear axles I can find have 4.10 gears. That's pretty close to 4.09, but it's not the same. I was always under the impression that the front and rear axle ratios were always the same. But then someone claimed that Ford ran a slightly higher ratio on the front axle of a 4x4, because it apparently contributed to better handling in mud, snow, etc. Can anyone validate this??? I've personally never heard of it, but it might make sense considering the fact that my front axle has 4.09 gears, and all I can find for rear axles is 4.10. The only reason I care about any of this is because I don't want to do something foolish, like running different gear ratios is my axles and consequently placing undue stress on the drivetrain.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

The ratio's are different, front to rear. Ever heard of not driving 4x4 on dry pavement? I don't have a reason, though. I've also heard of people driving 4x4 on dry pavement and having the vehicle lock up on them and they have to back up to unwind the drive train.

if you use 4wd on pavement make sure the front and rear ratios are the same. If you don't make them the same, do not use 4wd on pavement.

gear ratios

Don't worry. Even though the numbers are off by 1/100th , the axles will work as advertised. I've done 4X4 for years and there won't be a problem. Barnie

TrafficInSight said:
if you use 4wd on pavement make sure the front and rear ratios are the same. If you don't make them the same, do not use 4wd on pavement.

Unless your transfer case is specifically designed to run full-time 4, you will damage it even if the ratio's are the same. There will always be a slight difference between the two axles due to variables such as tire diameter, etc. and binding will occur unless you are on a surface that will allow a little slippage.

Transfer cases that allow full-time 4 have a viscous coupler in them that will allow some slippage and keep your gear from binding.

Latest resources

Back