Oshkosk '05 anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Huggyu2 said:
Lodging: looks like we're camping. However, we've got friends, and might pick up a few nights a their house. Also, we'll keep checking on hotel rooms, and when a cancellation opens up, we'll grab it.

If you've never been there, I spent a summer flying for the EAA prior to my Navy days, and here's what I know about Wisconsin.

Take bug spray. Lots of it, the mosquito is the state bird, and they are fawking HUUUGE.

Bring drinking money... oh my god is it cheap! Highley recommend Nads.. it's a bar.. it's good. Also Friar Tucks, which is about a 10-15 minute walk. Last time I was there, killer sandwhiches, .75 long necks of Miller Lite, and hot chicks wearing little monk robes.

Sleeping pills and blinders, the sun is no kidding UP at 5am.

Bug spray, did I mention the mosquito's are the size of hummingbirds?

Go to www.airventure.org
You'll see most the current miltary fighters and trainers, including the new T-6. There's usually a large transport jet too. Classic jets? They're there: Venom, Vampire, T-33, lots of L-39's, L-29, Gnat, Iskra, sometimes an F-104, Hunter, etc... very cool.
There's an entire ultralight field that has daily flying.
All the new light jets you read about will be there. In fact, any manufacturer that is anyone will be there.
Plan it a year out, and get a room near the field. People rent rooms in their houses, too. Univ of WI-Oshkosh has dorms that are a dive, but it's a bed, shower, and there's a shuttle to the airport (10 Minutes).
You gotta go!!!

You cannot die until you have "experienced" Oshkosh. I have been about half a dozen time and last year with my wife who had never camped before. So, I talk her into it finally and we setup shop next our ride (B-55 Baron). The very first night we are there...it rained and stormed like a mother... I was convinced we were going to get struck or drown. It was AWESOME!!!! She was cool with it too.

If it flies...it is usually there on one of the days!

I go every year, and always enjoy it. This year Mike Melville is bringing in SpaceShip One on its way to the Smithsonian. Rutan and his crew always give several talks,and they are always fun and interesting. That alone is worth the price of admission.

I'm going to be headed to OSH from the Lafayette, Indiana area on Mon morning...so long as the WX holds out. If anyone's headed that way I have two seats available. Otherwise...see ya out there!

If all goes well, I'll be hanging around a black (with red lettering) T-38 parked on the AeroShell West Ramp. If you're a Flightinfo.com regular, stop by and say hi.

Latest resources

Back