• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Oscoda accidental diversion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless I heard wrong the PFE on that flight is not still with us.(RIP) I heard through the grape vine and am hoping maybe I heard wrong. He is or was a hell of a nice guy and if true I was sorry to hear about it.

Whoops, that may be a "my bad", as I'm probably incorrect as to who was oiling that day. Unfortunately, I believe you're right. The intended point was that the crew didn't get fired for it. And "us" is ATI.

What is the name of that restaurant across the street?

Yes, It's Rick's Boatyard Cafe. Smells GREAT eh? :D Nice place, foods good. The mounted sailfish all over the place helps you forget you are in corn country. They had a small jazz trio playing at the bar inside when I was there. I don't know if that is common for the place or not. I think there is hotel across the shopping center about a mile up the road. Maybe it was a Red Roof Inn but not real sure. Maybe a google map could find it for you. Rick's looks like a place to make it an alright overnight trip for that $300 burger.

Last edited:
Kallitta DC-8 landed at Tawas, MI about 8 miles south. 3500' strip, flew it in and flew it out.

Ain't no way you're gonna put a 63 series diesel 8 down on a 3500 ft strip and stop at the end.

Thanks for the link - that was a great article! Hadn't seen it before. I still seem to remember that it took a few days to get out of there as they needed a fairly hefty headwind.

Damn, I wish I could find that pic of it. We had it posted in the pilot lounge back when it happened, it was from above the airport.

There is a pic of the BAX(ATI) DC-8 at 6D9 on the cork board inside the terminal building. It's very impressive with it's outboard engines and wings hanging over the grass of the runway.

It was pretty amazing they were able to stop her. The entire runway was patchy thin snow and ice, at best.

I remember them having to wait about 3-5 days for enough head wind to take off. They used about 3000 feet for their roll.

During the takeoff they damaged several runway lights and it was not until spring until Marv would know if the runway had been damaged from weight. Luckily the frozen earth prevented any would be damage to the runway.

Ain't no way you're gonna put a 63 series diesel 8 down on a 3500 ft strip and stop at the end.

Sure ya could:
Give it a light weight, cool temps and some head-wind and it will land like a Citation.

Latest resources

Back