Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
PCL... the original poster (Psycho) did not ask for simply "someone"... but a someone that was BLACK... not white, not asian, not hispanic, not Irish, not Jewish, not Italian, not Pacific Islander... just BLACK. Of course you knew that, but prefer to appear to be simply a poor reader.

I completely fail to see why so many continue to perpetuate race as a division among us. Why would someone's skin color matter one iota during a 2nd grade presentation about aviation opportunities? The only possible explanation is that many harbor racist views. If we are a color-blind society, then why would Psycho be seeking only speakers from a particular race? I'm confused?

Why would the speaker's race or gender matter at all? Is Psycho suggesting that BLACK youths are only capable of learning about aviation opportunities from other BLACKS? This is 2008, isn't it?

To me it seems clear that the old phrase, "If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem" was never more appropriate. Some just insist on perpetuating discrimination and keeping the races at odds with each other.

BBB

I think you miss the point.

Many inner city black youths are raised in single parent households with no Father. There are liquor stores on every corner. Gangs rule the streets. Your choices are to play ball or run drugs. If you're lucky maybe you'll make it as a Rapper.

Maybe you have a TV. What do you see? Athletes making millions with all the toys. Escalades on 24's, Fat Cribs, Bling, all the ladies you want and a shoe named after you. Do you think some white guy who flies for NW can relate to these kids? I Don't think it's gonna happen.

As much as we all want this stuff to end it's not going to any time soon. All OBAP is trying to do is reach these kids and maybe one or two might see that there are other opportunities out there.

I'm for real Phrogs. Apparently raised color-blind and raising my children the same way.

You must think the civil rights struggle was just in a history book, or the words of MLK just some flowery sermon to be dismissed... but tough Marines like you live in the "real world".

How many centuries are you going to let pass till you think we're "ready" for a color-blind society?

BBB

A color blind world has nothing to do with whom a 12 year old is going to identify with and find more believable.

I'm ready for a color blind society right now, let me know when it happens. Hint: it won't just happen on its own.

I think you miss the point.

Do you think some white guy who flies for NW can relate to these kids? I Don't think it's gonna happen.

If the criteria for educating our youth is that you must look like them or have experienced their upbringing in order to be an effective teacher, then I must respectfully disagree. You are selling them short if you believe they are incapable of learning from someone that doesn't look like them.

BBB

"Black History Month"? That in itself is racist.

Why don't we have Italian history month, Irish History month, Asian History month and Hispanic history month?

I have found that blacks tend to be the biggest racists in this country. Yet they are the first play the race card and hide behind it.

If the criteria for educating our youth is that you must look like them or have experienced their upbringing in order to be an effective teacher, then I must respectfully disagree. You are selling them short if you believe they are incapable of learning from someone that doesn't look like them.

BBB

I see your point, but how many times when you were in school did you tuned out some guy who was just rambling on about some vocation. You couldn't wait for lunch, or maybe you were dreaming about how to get into Betty Sue's pants.:eek:

Someone of the same color or creed goes along way with these kids. Many have never flown and can't believe some bald guy who looks like Micheal Jordan is actually a Pilot :D

Why don't we have Italian history month, Irish History month, Asian History month and Hispanic history month?

Ever heard of St. Patricks day? Cinco de Mayo? Chinese New Year? Yom Kippur? Need I go on?

You seem to have a big chip on your shoulder with "ANYTHING" that has to do with Blacks.

What's your "REAL" agenda?

Maybe if schools taught more about "Black History" than Slavery and the Civil War, "Black History" month wouldn't be needed.:(

Amen Reebo!! BTW who told you that you look like Mike?:laugh: Dont have me find one of my pictures of you and post that.

How's the job treating you very well I hope.

WD

Ever heard of St. Patricks day? Cinco de Mayo? Chinese New Year? Yom Kippur? Need I go on?

You seem to have a big chip on your shoulder with "ANYTHING" that has to do with Blacks.

What's your "REAL" agenda?

Double Amen!! You on a roll tonight...

WD

I joined OBAP a few years ago because I was told it will help me get hired at CAL, DAL etc.. and im white. Well, that turned out to be a waste of money. Then I got an email from the clown who runs OBAP saying to send him a resume for FedEx ASAP! I did and asked him how he could get around all the other insider/meet & greet/flown to the moon and back requirements they have and heard NOTHING back!

On the other hand, a very good (black) friend of mine is also a member who went to a OBAP spondered hiring fair for CAL last year, which turned out to be a complete waste of his time. That also led to no job opportunities despite his more than qualified credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back