Order of Ratings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gnx99,

You are not wrong. My mult/comm examiner gave me the whole instrument checkride as if I had no instrument rating at all. We almost forgot to do the single engine approach so I got to do an extra approach.

My order of ratings:
PPL
Instrument Ground Instructor
Instrument
Comm SEL
Comm/Instr MEL
Advanced Ground Instructor

I had my Instrument ground instructor before my Inst rating because I ran out of flying funds. Two of my ground students I signed off for written tests got their inst rating before I did.

I think getting instrument rated matures a pilot more than anything else at that stage. Where I live I wouldn't get to fly on many days without filing IFR.

Happy Flying

If you want to do it in the least expensive way....

Private SE
Instrument
Commercial SE
CFI

Get a job as a CFI. Being an instructor normally means a discount on aircraft rental and one of your fellow flight instructors can provide you with FREE instruction.

Multi ride

gnx99 said:
. . . Some people say you only need to do one IFR ride, but I've done an instrument ride in the single, then later did instrument stuff on my initial multi-commercial ride. (Single-Engine approaches, etc.)

If you don't do IFR stuff on a multi ride, and you have an instrument in the single, don't they put "multi-engine limited to VFR only"?

Am I wrong?
You're absolutely correct. The examiner will ask you if you want instrument privileges with your multi. You only have to demonstrate two approaches; one with all engines operating and another with an engine inop. Most examiners will give a non-precision approach with all engines and a single-engine ILS for the other approach.

That's all that Happy Flying should have had to demonstrate. His examiner was out of line by making him take the entire instrument ride again. But, then again, some examiners are fanatics . . . . . .

what if you are a commercial/instrument SEL

will they cover, VFR, Instrument and Commercial Multi in one checkride?

and going the "multi way" seems very very expensive...the Seneca at my local FBO costs 155 bucks an hour...doing an IR and Commerical in it...it would cost billions of bucks...not to mention the 250 hours total requirement...

it seems I'll most probably go like this:

PP/ASEL
PP/ASEL-IA
HP/Complex endorcements
CP/ASEL-IA
CP/AMEL-IA
(CFI) maybe...

tail tragger endorcement and aerobatic training are a goal of mine too someday...but I want to get my CP/AMEL-IA before most probably...

any thoughts?

Archer

Here is the order I completed mine in.

Private, Instrument, Commercial, (working on currently) CFI.

Did mine as follows-
1) PVT- SEL
2) INST
3) COMM- SEL
4) COMM- MEL
5) CFII
6) CFI

Many ways to go about this and I would say it just depends on your personal preferences and your career objectives. If I was you I would definately get your INST after the PVT then it is all up to you.

good luck-

3 5 0 :cool:

You guys Rock! Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

I did mine....

Private - Single
Single - Instrument
Commercial - Multi w/Instrument
Commercial - Single "Add-On"
CFI - Single

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get each of your ratings...

and how long to get to CP/AMEl-IA?

Archer

Archer said:
So if you go "Single Engine Way" how many Multi checkrdies do you need?

That's the way I did it. Private, Instr, Commercial (single), Multi-engine. Only had one checkride in the twin.

Seems like the cheapest way to do it...plus...renting a multi with 120 total hours wont be all that easy...

Something I noticed about the flight degree in my school. They go like this:

Fundamentals of Flight Lectures (for PPL)
Private Pilot Flight (at the end of this you should get your PPL)

Commercial Flight I

Cross-country Flight (to build up hours over the summer for CPL)

Commercial Flight II along with Instrument Flight Lectures and Ground Trainer I

Ground Trainer II, Commercial Flight Lectures, Instrument Flight

They do that in the first to years, and that get's you an A.S degree. At this point they expect you to have an unrestricted U.S. FAA Commercial Pilot's Certificate with Instrument Rating SEL.

Now, it seems that most people agree that Private, Instrument, Commercial SEL and then multi seems one of the main ways to go...

but my uni seems to do Private, Commercial, and then Instrument to rap things up and get "Commercial Pilot's Licence AND Instrument Rating"

Is there a way to get these thigns together, in one checkride or something?

I thought it would be better to be an Instrument Pilot going into Commercial training rather than a Commercial Pilot going into Instrument training...

?

Archer

Latest resources

Back