Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Multi time

Archer said:
[A]nd going the "multi way" seems very very expensive...the Seneca at my local FBO costs 155 bucks an hour...doing an IR and Commerical in it...it would cost billions of bucks...not to mention the 250 hours total requirement..
Well, yes, it is expensive. But, a lot of people train as much as possible in the multi to maximize their multi time before hitting the cruel, hard world of pilot hiring. They figure that logging as much multi time as possible during training will get them closer sooner to the magic multi times the regionals and insurance demand. So, they figure that paying more now will help them reach their goal sooner. There's a lot of merit to that argument, especially when hiring is good. There may be less merit to that argument during leaner times.

On the other hand, plenty of people earn initial Commercial-Instrument certification as single-engine pilots, earn their multis later, and are every bit as successful as their initial Commercial-Multi brethren.

tail tragger endorcement and aerobatic training are a goal of mine too someday...
(emphasis added). Excellent thoughts. Especially the aerobatic training.

In that regard, the new Time magazine has a great article on so-called "upset training" being given in Lears to airline pilots. The article discusses how the Lear is specially configured to mimick control forces on a heavy. The point of the article is how so many new airline pilots have not had unusual attitudes and acro training, and are more likely not to react properly, e.g. if a vortex rolls them, such as last November's event in New York. Sorry, I don't remember on which page the article appears, but it's near the front of the mag.

PS-The article is on Page 11 of the October 14, 2002 issue of Time.

Last edited:
To clarify what Bobby said, the new PTS only requires one instrument approach for the instrument privileges on the multi cert. They no longer require the all engine approach, and if you are instrument rated you do not get the choice whether you want to add the privileges to the multi ticket.

The order I did mine:
Private SEL
Instrument
Comm SEL
CFI
Multi add on

Doing the multi after being employed as a CFI allowed me to pay for the rating and it is also a tax deduction. I am currently working on my CFII and MEI.

Multi add-on question

I don't think I saw an asnwer to this question on the thread. Up to now all of my flying has been Single Engine; only recently have I seriously considered getting the Commercial and Multi ratings. I don't really plan to fly for a living, I'd just like to have the ratings.

I have Private/Instrument ASEL now and my intention is get the commercial ASEL and then do the multi all at once (i.e. Commercial and Instrument).

Finally, my question:

Will I have to re-accomplish the instrument and commercial cross countries in a multi engine airplane or will the previous experience in single engine suffice for that?

Thanks for the info.

You do not have to redo any of the aeronautical experience. 61.63 is where to look concerning a new category or class rating.

This is what I am doing / did:

Private, Instrument, Commercial, CFI

I'm half way done with my CFI right now. Once I have work at a school, I will go do Multi Comm/IFR (single checkride) and then sit in on a couple of instrument ground schools and get my CFII and I am not sure about the MEI.

The reason behind this is financial. PPL,IFR,Comm,CFI is the quickest route to switch from the "pay for flying" mode to the "get paid for flying" mode.

Once I am a CFI, the multi airplane is cheaper (employee discount), and most instructors give each other instruction for free, so thats another bonus.

Even though my goal is the airlines, getting my multi early was not a priority. Even if I had gotten my multi after my private, I wouldn't have had the financing to support staying current.

If money isn't a problem, heck, get the multi after your instrument and start logging time on it. It is after all what is going to get you that interview with a regional, not your single engine time.

Again, it depends what your goals are and what your financial position is.

Latest resources

Back