• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Options overrun at RMG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My cocaptain and I were speculating that the current trend of excluding thrust reversers from aircraft design is leading to increased runway overruns. I think thrust reversers used to compensate for techniques that didn't comply with manufacturer's published technique.

Most manufacturers want us to cross the threshold at 50' on a 3 deg glide at Vref and idle thrust and then touchdown on the markers, apply maximum braking immediately after touchdown and maintain maximum braking until reaching taxi speed. If we don't, the result is:

Every 10' above 50' = 200' added to the landing roll
Every 1 second delay in applying the brakes = 200' added to the landing roll
10 knots fast = 15% increase in landing distance
20 knots fast = 35% increase in landing distance

So, if you think your landing distance is 3000' and you add 15% per SAFO 06012 and you think that's good for a 5000' runway, you might be wrong. Come in 10 knots fast, 10 feet high, miss the TDZ by 300' and wait 5 seconds to get the nosewheel down and apply the brakes and your actual landing distance is 4950...assuming good brakes.

I'm not saying these guys did any of that. For all I know they had a brake failure after a text book touchdown. I'm just taking the opportunity to start a discussion on how a good approach actually looks.

I landed just after this on runway 19.
Could have been failure of anti skid because I did see several skid marks on the runway 7.
runway 1-19 6000'
runway 7-25 4000'
wind 260@12 G22
aircraft landed on runway 7

Latest resources

Back