• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Opinions: Chautauqua, SkyWest, or TSA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you don't want to commute, take CHQ. I have talked to a lot of TSA guys (I lived in a crashpad with a bunch of their captains) and not one person had much of anything good to say about it. Also, STL is very senior for TSA pilots to hold from what I hear. You should be able to get STL within 3 months after being hired at CHQ.

CHQ is currently in contract negotiations which are going well. As far as the Republic thing goes, don't listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about. Republic is basically going to be a strict Jets For Jobs deal. It will be a unionized company staffed with ex-US Airways mainline pilots, who are not going to settle for working for peanuts. It should have very little effect on our operations, and our scope clause will prevent it from doing such. Starting Republic was the only way for Wexford to comply with J4J and to also get CHQ more jets (9 more).

As with every regional, there are lots of things up in the air. With United, US Airways, and American struggling mightily to stay afloat, the industry is definitely not on solid ground. However, CHQ is thriving at this time. They are financially secure (enough to give everyone in the company a large Christmas bonus), they fly excellent equipment, and they have a management that is consistently looking toward the future. The US Airways predicament has been known for quite sometime now, and management has been preparing and reallocating its interests--- namely with the new Delta contract, which could bring up to 50 additional aircraft.

Skywest is a good company, too, if you want to commute. But I just wanted to give you an insider look at CHQ. Don't pay attention to all of the negativity people on the outside are trying to give you. If the industry was wide open and I had the choice of any regional, I would still be at CHQ. Great group of people!!

Another way to look at the choices

Consider the companies in question individually as though you were going to become a share holder. History, financials, outlook, who has the superior product and the customer service to back it, etc.

When you like what you see from a business standpoint then it's time to meet the people. A two step "filter device" as it were.

Career choices are a lot like choosing a spouse; find one that shares common goals & interests and things tend to work out; choose poorly and pay for the mistake over the course of years.

Of the three you mentioned, I would choose SKYW in an instant.

All the best in your endeavors,

IF you plan on staying at a regional for awhile (You may not have a choice these days)--I would pick Skywest over the other two. But, something to keep in the back of your head is that ASA/Comair are owned by Delta, and eventually they both will get over 500 RJ's. They might replace Skywest and Chit-talk eventually down the road. But, I do think Skywest is the best choice of the three----nice planes and West Coast living. (although you can't beat Atlanta!!---Buckhead rules!)

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool:

I know you didn't include Comair in your original choice, but it would be an easy commute from STL. I'm living in Cincy right now....joys of reserve....but, I'm considering moving back home to STL after my lease is up and I can hold a line. It would be nice to live somewhere near MetroLink, but I'll either go back to South County (270 traffic: ugh!), or stay at a friend's house in Florissant.

Gotta have my Ted Drewes!!!

The rest of the story.....

atpcliff said:
Hi!

SkyWest is by FAR the best. The only regional clearly better than SkyWest is Air Wisconsin, and they're so good I don't even consider them a regional.

I think Chautauqua is a little more stable than TSA, and they have a LOT more jets-they also have better code shares.

TSA, while decent, makes some money from USAir, and most from AA. Their AA flying is being greived by Eagle (along with Chautauqua and Corporate's AA flying) who doesn't want anyone else to feed AA.

I was at TSA and liked them, but, from what I've heard, I'd rank Chautauqua somewhat better. After 9.11, Chautauqua, did, however, FIRE all of it's non-needed pilots (TSA furloughed them). They did offer them all positions at a later date.

Cliff
GRB

Well,well-how soon we forget,eh Cliff ? Truth is,TSA said either leave voluntarily or you will be fired ! Ok,so CHQ fired us,TSA forced you to take a lay-off-what's the difference ? Still no pay envelopes on the 15th and 30th.We were recalled and given our original date of hire,so it's really a non-issue.

Hi!

If you read the SkyWest threads, apparently they have a lot of money to spend now. There are rumours of them buying 717s. Interesting.

Cliff
GRB

Re: The rest of the story.....

Bluestreak said:
Well,well-how soon we forget,eh Cliff ? Truth is,TSA said either leave voluntarily or you will be fired ! Ok,so CHQ fired us,TSA forced you to take a lay-off-what's the difference ? Still no pay envelopes on the 15th and 30th.We were recalled and given our original date of hire,so it's really a non-issue.

That's one thing good about TSA. They don't give you a bunch of HR "Welcome to our aviation family" crap.

Latest resources

Back