• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

opinion on side duties

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sperfly said it all in his first post, actually though if you already have a mechanic responsible for cleaning, why would a crew have to do it? Good luck.

back in the day when i was a junior weenie on a two man turboprop, i did all that stuff (washing plane, shine boots blah, blah, blah). it went with the territory. it just depends on your job and their expectations. do whatever it is until you have the experience to do better. or you can be a argumentative little puke and go nowhere. the choice is yours.

Your answer was determined by who showed you how to do the task - the mechanic. It's a maintenance duty.

Everyone has additional duties in flight departments, but generally they are flight related tasks such as posting Jepps. I run training for my department.

There are departments, generally smaller flying smaller aircraft, that hire pilot A&Ps. I'm guessing that's not you, but it may be what your boss really needs.

GV

Your answer was determined by who showed you how to do the task - the mechanic. It's a maintenance duty.

Everyone has additional duties in flight departments, but generally they are flight related tasks such as posting Jepps. I run training for my department.

There are departments, generally smaller flying smaller aircraft, that hire pilot A&Ps. I'm guessing that's not you, but it may be what your boss really needs.

GV

not exactly--there was no maintenance staff. and yes i did jepps and training as well. it was a wee dept. one turbo and two scmucks.:)

Last edited:
This is wrong, all wrong!

Anybody who tells you to use Scotch-brite on deicing boots is nuts. Judging by this alone, the only thing your "knowledgeable" mechanic is knowledgeable about is blowing smoke. If you have Scotch-brited those boots, you have damaged them. Period. You will get holes in them in no time doing that.

First off, let me tell you how to do this job right. Get the PBS prep stuff and the PBS boot dressing. Follow directions, which are basically, for the Prep: wipe on, wipe off; for the Dressing: wipe on, wait a few, then wipe off excess. All done with SOFT CLOTHS. Job done in less than an hour for wing and horiz stab boots and NO DAMAGE TO THE BOOTS.

Second off, have a private talk with your mech...no witnesses. Tell him straight up that he can either:
a) do the job himself, his way, and absorb the cost, and keep his mouth shut or you're going to tell the boss that he's been doing to his $4M turboprop's boots what is basically the equivalent of sandpapering a condom prior to use; or, b) let you use the PBS as it was meant to be used (NOTE: the manufacturer of the stuff says twice a year is adequate) and keep his nose out of it, and his mouth shut. If the guy balks, just smile, nod, and use the PBS prep and dressing as I have described anyway.

Whatever happens, to cover yourself you need to let the boss know right now that this guys has been telling you to do something that is accelerating the wear and tear rate on that delicate neoprene by about 1000%. I have worked with a lot of guys like your "mech." When the holes start springing up in those boots he is going to tell your boss that you must have screwed something up, and you'll likely get fired. You must strike first and cover yourself.

But DO NOT Scotch-brite those boots!!!

Anybody who tells you to use Scotch-brite on deicing boots is nuts. Judging by this alone, the only thing your "knowledgeable" mechanic is knowledgeable about is blowing smoke. If you have Scotch-brited those boots, you have damaged them. Period. You will get holes in them in no time doing that.

First off, let me tell you how to do this job right. Get the PBS prep stuff and the PBS boot dressing. Follow directions, which are basically, for the Prep: wipe on, wipe off; for the Dressing: wipe on, wait a few, then wipe off excess. All done with SOFT CLOTHS. Job done in less than an hour for wing and horiz stab boots and NO DAMAGE TO THE BOOTS.

Second off, have a private talk with your mech...no witnesses. Tell him straight up that he can either:
a) do the job himself, his way, and absorb the cost, and keep his mouth shut or you're going to tell the boss that he's been doing to his $4M turboprop's boots what is basically the equivalent of sandpapering a condom prior to use; or, b) let you use the PBS as it was meant to be used (NOTE: the manufacturer of the stuff says twice a year is adequate) and keep his nose out of it, and his mouth shut. If the guy balks, just smile, nod, and use the PBS prep and dressing as I have described anyway.

Whatever happens, to cover yourself you need to let the boss know right now that this guys has been telling you to do something that is accelerating the wear and tear rate on that delicate neoprene by about 1000%. I have worked with a lot of guys like your "mech." When the holes start springing up in those boots he is going to tell your boss that you must have screwed something up, and you'll likely get fired. You must strike first and cover yourself.

But DO NOT Scotch-brite those boots!!!

And besides sand paper will probably do a better job than scotch-brite anyway. Or maybe you could just scrape them with a putty knife that would be brillant. Bottom line is just do what you told and shut your mouth.

Typical side job for most TP operators.

Falls into the category of "might as well do it myself, cause I'm the only one that will do it right".

What he said.

I did our boots on a C560 and then the brite work on the TR's and the inboard bleed air portion of the leading edge of the wings. Its a chore but I agree with these guys in that when your done it sure does look purrrrdy and you feel a real sense of accomplishment! And I always love rolling into the FBO with a shiny airplane thats just been washed! I usually tried to do it every six months. Once coming into spring, like in April and then I'd wait until the first solid freeze (frost) to do it again so all those little 'skeeters and fireflys and other winged insects of the sky were dead and not dirty-ing up my work on the leading edge.

Latest resources

Back