• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

opinion on side duties

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The probelm begins to arise in that our Mech bills by the hour. He's VERY knowledgeable and takes a great deal of pride in the appearance of the a/c and is of the opinion that by doing these things (to the outside of the plane) he can remain familiar with where it is maintenance-wise. I.e. if he's washing it, he's looking at it and can see little things. I certainly don't mind keeping it clean and sparkly, it only takes about an hour or two out of my month and I hardly ever work anyway. It's just this one job that I can't get revved up about doing.

According to our mechanic you can not just throw more stuff on the boots over the old stuff....the stripping process can damage the boots if not done right and to do the whole job takes about 7 hours.

These are the factors that leave me with my moral dilemma. I don't mind a little side work( I vacuum, stock, wash, do databases, revisions, etc).....but is this a job that should be done by maintenance? Personally, I think "yes" But I'm still open to being told that I'm a slacker. With all this in mind....am I just being a slacker?

"What is the collective opinion on dressing of de-ice boots?"

I'm partial to aircraft that use a hot wing to keep ice away so ya don't have to dress em at all....but that's just my opinion.

Are you fu(king kidding me, A side job for me is putting office furniture togheter or waxing the bosses 37 foot fishing boat or installing his freaking sprinkler system. Putting a little bit of boot dressing on is nothing. And that is exactly why I am leaving the corporate gig and going 121. But then again I worked for a complete d!ck and yes I'm at fault for putting up with it. But seriously dressing the boots really isn't that hard and in my opinon isn't that big of a deal. And I've never spent more than 15 minutes doing it.

Wow- Your job sounds crappy. I wouldn't be there long unless he was paying BIG $$$$ for me to be the jack of all trades. If the pay was sh!tty I would call him from the boat dock and told him I am done with the boat but its all red now. (sand all the gelcoat off). Then apologize as I never learned boat waxing in college nor was it shown during my FAA licenses. What a tool--I would have hooked up his sprinkler pump to his sewer line and sprayed poo all over his yard.

Every flight deptment has side duties.

Mine is to ask the D.O. to call the detailer and polish the leading edges and wax the airplane.

Sounds like your mechanic has his own way to do it, not neccessarily the best way! I would never consider using scotch brite. If anything will damage the boots in the stripping process, that is it.

Get the PBS system. Use the stripper with paper towels and patience.

The problem with the pbs system is the fact that it does build up and you have to strip it regularly.

The BFGoodrich stuff doesn't build up, but the finished result isn't quite as good. Much less effort involved.

I think a good number of 91/135 ops have side duties, obviously some are more crappy than others.

Personally I don't mind cleaning up the jet after a trip or or washing it when I have nothing else to do. Just like alot of folks we also have various office duties to take care of when not flying. Right now I'm setting up 4 new computers for our new piece-of-an-office.

I don't think I'm above any of these things simply because I fly the jet, but I can say I've yet to be asked to install a sprinkler system or such...

I second that it isn't a quick job if you are doing it right. It is much quicker AFTER you do the initial scrub down due to neglect or just continuous layering of the old stuff, but that first one took me ALL weekend and that was just on a 340.

Wow- Your job sounds crappy. I wouldn't be there long unless he was paying BIG $$$$ for me to be the jack of all trades. If the pay was sh!tty I would call him from the boat dock and told him I am done with the boat but its all red now. (sand all the gelcoat off). Then apologize as I never learned boat waxing in college nor was it shown during my FAA licenses. What a tool--I would have hooked up his sprinkler pump to his sewer line and sprayed poo all over his yard.

Yeah he is a typical cheap rich bast@rd that will sh!t on you every chance he gets but thats exactly why I'm leaving and I and pitty the next sucker that walks in the door and listens and believes all the lies.

Yeah he is a typical cheap rich bast@rd that will sh!t on you every chance he gets but thats exactly why I'm leaving and I and pitty the next sucker that walks in the door and listens and believes all the lies.

Repectfully ... at 1700 hours, both of got what you wanted. He wanted and airplane Biatch and you wanted turbine corporate experience. Win-Win right.

Now you will be on to a hopefully a better flight department that let's you enjoy your time off. :beer:

Repectfully ... at 1700 hours, both of got what you wanted. He wanted and airplane Biatch and you wanted turbine corporate experience. Win-Win right.

Now you will be on to a hopefully a better flight department that let's you enjoy your time off. :beer:

Your right, and I was just venting. It has definitly been a good experence learning the ropes and hopefully will help me in the long run.

Latest resources

Back