• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Opening Salvo AS vs DL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It funny how all the talk of us (Alaska . Vs them etc). How will it work .. Who wants to buy us etc .. My prediction Q400 in the arctic .. ANC base is just doing allnighter long haul .. And freighters .. A Bay Area pilot base .. Poss San .. And we just keep doing what we have been doing .. Some more rj flights in there as well since smallest plane will be a -800 in a few years .. Slow steady nothing crazy here ..unless we get crazy and buy JetBlue ..

My question for the Delta Dudes, does Big Daddy Delta have a "VP" in other cities, or just Seattle? Is there a VP of say, LAX, SLC, DEN, MSP, etc.

I don't think Delta cares what Alaska does.....And I don't think they consider Alaska to be competition either....They compete with SWA, United and American(usair)....In operational terms and in size, Alaska is a jet regional. Kinda like the Minnesota Vikings feeling like they compete with the Skokie North High Vikings.....Not so much..

I don't think Delta cares what Alaska does.....And I don't think they consider Alaska to be competition either....They compete with SWA, United and American(usair)....In operational terms and in size, Alaska is a jet regional. Kinda like the Minnesota Vikings feeling like they compete with the Skokie North High Vikings.....Not so much..

I dunno man, the Minnesota Vikings are 1-5. I'll bet that High School team could give them a run for their money! ;)

ALK is like a pimp who owns one high dollar call girl and one crack-ho. The high dollar call girl has great demand but profits from her are limited. The other pimps who operate with a great number of crack-ho's won't bother ALK as they pose no threat. But one of these days... :D

ALK is like a pimp who owns one high dollar call girl and one crack-ho. The high dollar call girl has great demand but profits from her are limited. The other pimps who operate with a great number of crack-ho's won't bother ALK as they pose no threat. But one of these days... :D

Is the crack-ho's name Ruby??

My question for the Delta Dudes, does Big Daddy Delta have a "VP" in other cities, or just Seattle? Is there a VP of say, LAX, SLC, DEN, MSP, etc.

Usually VP of geographic sections, like VP of Asia flying, VP of Latin America, etc. But, I think there is a VP for NYC. A VP for SEA means something, like future expansion is probably likely. The VPs of those sections or cities go around and round up business contracts for that area I believe.

A FNWA Capt I just flew with explained how NWA used to deal with AK. When AK got "out of line" with the NWA codeshare, NWA would park a pax 747-200 on the SEA to ANC route and then dump the fares. Within a couple months, AK would come back apologizing. I don't know if that will happen again or is happening now, but I guess that always is an option. You just never know.....

What do I hope for? Internal expansion. I'd rather not have AK do the flying DL could do on their own. Yes, a lot of the current flights are RJs, but as 717s come online along with new 739ERs and MD90s, some of them could flow through SEA and PDX. Maybe some of the planned parkings of older 757s could be delayed? Internal growth is good, and the RJs might be testing the water as we speak? Again, you just never know....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
There is a VP of NYC. I actually saw rampers run into position the other day.

They are doing something right there.

It funny how all the talk of us (Alaska . Vs them etc). How will it work .. Who wants to buy us etc .. My prediction Q400 in the arctic .. ANC base is just doing allnighter long haul .. And freighters .. A Bay Area pilot base .. Poss San .. And we just keep doing what we have been doing .. Some more rj flights in there as well since smallest plane will be a -800 in a few years .. Slow steady nothing crazy here ..unless we get crazy and buy JetBlue ..

Here's my prediction for 2018 for Alaska.

Q400's have come and gone from the arctic. They are going to try to run the Q400 with the freighter back-up and it will fail for all the reasons all the front line employees know that it will (even Eskimos like to arrive at their destination airport at the same time as their bags). Brad and company will be able to tell the employees that they tried everything to keep it within Air group. Since the only 737-400's left at Alaska will be the freighters/combis, it won't make sense to anyone for Alaska to continue to operate them, so NAC will be the new "code-share" partner and bring combi-service back to the arctic. Alaska will be rid of the Arctic flying, the Q400's will be out of Alaska, 737 combi service will return (operated by NAC)...everybody will be happy. Don't worry guys...it's just 5 airplanes.

As far as down south, Delta will have matched capacity in SEA-LAX, SEA-SFO, SEA-LAS. Hopefully, SEA-ANC doesn't have enough international connections to be of interest to them. Delta is committing several billion dollars of capital to build up SEA. It would be foolish to rely heavily on an outside vendor to provide the feed necessary to make this capital investment profitable...so of course they are going to be putting a lot of their own metal in SEA. These recent Delta adds are just the beginning. Talking to guys at Alaska, most don't seem to appreciate just how much bigger Delta is then AS. The funniest is...Delta can't afford to buy Alaska! Delta doesn't need to buy Alaska, if Delta increases their revenue 10%...they just created Alaska Airlines. By 2018, Delta Airlines will have more 737's then Alaska does.

100ish seat RJ announcement by the end of next year.

Hawaii flying will be scaled back to the hubs once HA deploys their NEO's...so probably not 5 years...but 10 years from now I don't believe AS will be flying from the bay area to Hawaii. Definitely not close to the current rate.

Here's my prediction for 2018 for Alaska.

Q400's have come and gone from the arctic. They are going to try to run the Q400 with the freighter back-up and it will fail for all the reasons all the front line employees know that it will (even Eskimos like to arrive at their destination airport at the same time as their bags). Brad and company will be able to tell the employees that they tried everything to keep it within Air group. Since the only 737-400's left at Alaska will be the freighters/combis, it won't make sense to anyone for Alaska to continue to operate them, so NAC will be the new "code-share" partner and bring combi-service back to the arctic. Alaska will be rid of the Arctic flying, the Q400's will be out of Alaska, 737 combi service will return (operated by NAC)...everybody will be happy. Don't worry guys...it's just 5 airplanes.

As far as down south, Delta will have matched capacity in SEA-LAX, SEA-SFO, SEA-LAS. Hopefully, SEA-ANC doesn't have enough international connections to be of interest to them. Delta is committing several billion dollars of capital to build up SEA. It would be foolish to rely heavily on an outside vendor to provide the feed necessary to make this capital investment profitable...so of course they are going to be putting a lot of their own metal in SEA. These recent Delta adds are just the beginning. Talking to guys at Alaska, most don't seem to appreciate just how much bigger Delta is then AS. The funniest is...Delta can't afford to buy Alaska! Delta doesn't need to buy Alaska, if Delta increases their revenue 10%...they just created Alaska Airlines. By 2018, Delta Airlines will have more 737's then Alaska does.

100ish seat RJ announcement by the end of next year.

Hawaii flying will be scaled back to the hubs once HA deploys their NEO's...so probably not 5 years...but 10 years from now I don't believe AS will be flying from the bay area to Hawaii. Definitely not close to the current rate.[/QUOTE

Maybe anything is possible, but I don't see this happening.

Latest resources

Back