• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

openletter

An open letter to John Spanjers, President and COO, Mesaba Airlines:

Dear Mr. Spanjers,

The recent concessionary proposal by management to the pilots of Mesaba is an insult. We understand the hardship that is being caused by the bankruptcy and turmoil at NWA; however, this proposal does nothing to solve the core problem at Mesaba. This proposal only serves to demoralize the one group of employees that can have the greatest impact on the success, or failure of this airline.

Is this, sir, what you intended on doing? If so, it has worked. Telling a First Officer that he is only worth wages that are below the poverty line of a family of four is demoralizing. Adding to that the reduced work rules, increase in medical insurance rates, and numerous other regressive aspects of the proposal make it ludicrous. The safety and on-time performance of this airline have been among the best in the industry for quite some time. This is due to the relentless pursuit of perfection by every airman at Mesaba. By demoralizing the pilot group, you, sir, have put a chink in the armor that separates a pilot from the external factors that must be ignored in order for a flight to be operated without peril. You see, we, as pilots, are only human. There is only so much we can take before we decide we are not fit to fly. Nor are we willing to fly for a company that obviously does not value our experience.

If the company proceeds down this slippery slope, it only serves to empower the pilot group to take matters into our own hands. We are professionals; we will not endanger any person or property. Our unwritten code of conduct as professional aviators, the credo by which we live by, precludes us from doing anything malicious, if only our management followed the same code. We, I believe, are now emboldened to not accept any concessions with the current management team. This team has proven to be incapable of the simplest forms of humility or humanity. If the process continues to an 1113(c) filing, and if the terms of this proposal are imposed upon us, I think I speak for each one of us in saying that we will refuse to work under these “draconian” work rules.

I am submitting this letter anonymously. Not because I am worried about being singled out, but because I feel I speak for the pilots of Mesaba, and the industry as a whole. Not just for myself.

Perhaps you should allow the MEC to speak for the pilots of Mesaba. Just a thought.

I understand your frustration, but it's usually best to allow a single voice for the group. Management loves to see individual communications from the pilots. To them, it signals that the pilots feel the MEC isn't doing things well enough. It's much better to present a single unified front standing behind the MEC. Whenever management asks you a question about how you think things are going, simply tell them "Captain Wychor and the MEC speak for me." Nothing scares management more than hearing that over and over again.

Boo hoo - You regional guys all took sub standard wages when you took your jobs. Now someone is undercutting you as our free market prices pilots at 20K a year and you are upset.

Here is my open letter to airline mgmt:
You get what you pay for. "Dude, I'm an airline pilot. Rock on!"

Here is my open letter to the pilots.
Thanks for undercutting me. I couldn't afford to be a pilot and now I'm stuck working in an office. Now its happening to you and believe it or not, I feel bad for you.

Stand together or fall alone. Or, "a house divided against itself cannot stand."

Historically, problems started at some airlines when the airlines threatened pilots with "take what we offer or we won't give you any RJ's." Had a crystal ball been available then, would the pilot group have wanted so many rj's?

Just wondering...

PCL_128 said:
Perhaps you should allow the MEC to speak for the pilots of Mesaba. Just a thought.

That sure worked well before.

All you have to do is vote NO with the rest of the XJ pilots. If they impose it via the court then strike. Hopefully the MEC would actually call their bluff this time.

Mgmt know they are not going to get these cuts, but they have nothing ot lose by trying. When it gets voted down and they then ask for half of what they are asking now it won't seem as bad.

You have the upper hand it this, they won't allow a strike to happen.

PCL_128 said:
I understand your frustration, but it's usually best to allow a single voice for the group. Management loves to see individual communications from the pilots. To them, it signals that the pilots feel the MEC isn't doing things well enough. It's much better to present a single unified front standing behind the MEC. Whenever management asks you a question about how you think things are going, simply tell them "Captain Wychor and the MEC speak for me." Nothing scares management more than hearing that over and over again.

Speaking of scary...

Having a union guy tell me that the general worker can't voice their feelings/insights, and that only MEC people know everything. That's scary.

Looks a little imperialistic, doesn't it?

More scary than Starr Jones in a Victoria's Secret ad.

Latest resources

Back