• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

One VOR for instrument checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Recently while getting current with approaches the 2nd VOR crapped out and I had to do everything with just the one. The surprise was a welcomed challenge and I had no problems at all.

This all can be much easier if the single nav you do have is a flip flop with a standby feature. This particular approach was to a VOR approach.

Once you're established on your inbopund course whether it be final or an enroute leg, get your wind correction heading down and bug it. Once this has been done, just hold that heading and switch between the two frequencies.

In fact, this should be an exercise yuo should practice with your instructor. All this will do wondrs for improving your situational awareness. If I recall correctly, a few questions in the CFI or instrument written ask whether you need more than one VOR. The correct answer is only one forthe approach referenced.

Plus, you'll get bonus points with the examiner if you demonstrate this ability.

DME if equiped will also help tremendously under this conditons too. One VOR and some DME works just fine.

awacs941 said:
Wouldn't that make the GPS not legal for IFR use :) ?

Nope!

You can use a VFR GPS for enroute navigation, it just can't be your filed/primary means of doing so. I also don't think you could *legally* use a VFR GPS for DME if it was required, but in this case it was not (it was for situational use only, and very helpful for identifing intersections). I've had many controllers ask me if I had a handheld onboard when I was /A so they could give me direct destination.

Here is my question. Is your single VOR/CDI capable of LOC/GS. The single CDI planes i have seen only had VOR/LOC capapbility and no GS.

If the second one is the case, I do not think you can use this airplane for the checkride, since the Instrument PTS requires a Precision approach.

You must supply an airplane that allows you to complete all appropriate tasks in the PTS.

wmuflyguy said:
If the second one is the case, I do not think you can use this airplane for the checkride, since the Instrument PTS requires a Precision approach.

You must supply an airplane that allows you to complete all appropriate tasks in the PTS.

Very good point, the PTS does require a precision approach.

Latest resources

Back