Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fussle

Oh John...
Just curious to see if it matters if the airplane only has one VOR. Is it ok to just ask ATC to identify intersections and such or will you be expected to do it yourself on the instrument checkride?

fussle said:
Just curious to see if it matters if the airplane only has one VOR. Is it ok to just ask ATC to identify intersections and such or will you be expected to do it yourself on the instrument checkride?

No, the examiner will expect you to ID all intersections using only the one VOR, they would ask you what would happen if you were in a non radar environment. Once establised on the course you are trying to track then just switch over to the freq and radial you are using to ID your fix.

Find a plane with two VOR's, I would never fly a plane with only one receiver in IMC, and the examiner would question your judgement, and wonder how you would ID stepdowns on an approach seening as how when on the approach you could not tune out the final approach course to ID a fix.

siucavflight said:
Find a plane with two VOR's, I would never fly a plane with only one receiver in IMC, and the examiner would question your judgement, and wonder how you would ID stepdowns on an approach seening as how when on the approach you could not tune out the final approach course to ID a fix.

I concur.

-Goose

siucavflight said:
No, the examiner will expect you to ID all intersections using only the one VOR, they would ask you what would happen if you were in a non radar environment. Once establised on the course you are trying to track then just switch over to the freq and radial you are using to ID your fix.

...my,my,my,...how far we've fallen. One VOR receiver used to be the standard. Cross-tuning on final approach for a step-down fix with partial panel...
Yep. No matter what you think about the "judgement" of such a situation, it can certainly happen when you start out with two VOR's. WAy back, when most trainer airplanes did have only one VOR, it was common to "fail" the second VOR if the applicant had 2, and do intersection holds and/or VOR step-down approaches to insure the applicant could handle a one-vor approach...

...(blink,blink)..oh, wait a minute, this is 2000 and...five?..is it?

Ah yes, reliving the glory days. I suppose we should put those Narco Superhomers back in the 150s, so students can learn how to tune a coffee grinder radio.

Back when one radio took up twice the panel space, cost a small fortune and weighed 15 pounds, I guess you could be glad you had one. There also weren't a million other planes zooming around in close proximity.

Find a 2 radio airplane. Kind of hard to swing a dead cat without hitting one.

There's a reason technology advances.

pilotmiketx said:
I suppose we should put those Narco Superhomers back in the 150s, so students can learn how to tune a coffee grinder radio.

Now thass what I'm talkin' about!!

I've flown an airplane with a single nav radio in IMC before, and it was a non-event (although the plane did have a VFR GPS for DME). Admittedly situational awareness is much more difficult to maintain, but single nav ops are not inheriently unsafe. That being said, get two radios for your checkride. To willingly give yourself a handicap on a flight test would be foolish.

In the army, they spoiled me at flight school. During primary we fly a Bell 206 with dual VOR, but then when we got into the UH-60 it only has one, so you have to cross tune...needless to say, the first intersection holding was interesting to say the least!

Latest resources

Back