• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

One Union One Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not true tube, you have seen what happens when someone raised their fare $10, ridership fell like a rock and the raise was removed the next day. Internet shopping makes that almost impossible

I disagree Yip. Suppose airline ABC and airline XYZ offer the city pairings a family of four is looking for. Let's also assume ABC and XYZ charge the same amount. Service, frequency and comfort will decide who gets the business. If ABC raises their tickets $10 then the $40 savings for a family trumps service, frequency and comfort and XYZ will win. If both ABC and XYZ raise their fees $10 to cover increases in labor costs then we are back to square one: service, frequency and comfort are again the deciding factors. The $10 increase only matters if only one airline raises their fees. If everybody raised ticket prices $10-$20 across the board nobody would stop flying and everybody would move significantly back towards sustainable profitability. The $40-$80 increase for a family of four won't stop the majority of people from flying. If they can save $40-$80 by flying with somebody else they will, but if everybody is roughly the same amount you could, IMO, increase fares 10-15% nationwide and it wouldn't affect loads one bit.

Last edited:
CRJDog said:
IMHO, the only way that anyone will listen is that EVERY ALPA carrier pilot just wakes up one day and walks out of the job saying ENOUGH is ENOUGH!! That will bring the country to a standstill. Do we have that unity? Do we have the pelotas? NOPE!!

The saga continues....

National strikes can be effective. The problem is that the ALPA pilot groups keep doing what they are told. It really is sad.

Take a look at what the Belgiums are doing in repsonse to the governments proposal to raise the retirement age BY ONLY TWO YEARS.

<http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/28/belgium.strike.ap/>

ALPA pilots, and US labor groups in general, and not unified. It's all about ME.

Now, go pay your dues and quit your bitchin, or stand up and fight and stage a national walk-out. This really is what has to happen.

I would gladly have to get in my car and drive.

You would gain more respect for your industy than you can ever imagine.

I hate to say it, but i think that America needs to feel a day without pilots and see what the airlines do for the country and maybe we can get more popular support. Right now they could care less other than getting a low ticket fare.

Beyond what happens to vacationers and recreational travelers, I bet people don't realize just how much airtravel effects the economy and stability of their lives. It is about time.

ex j-41 said:
Just an idea... But if we had only one contract one union and we all had to
have a minimum amount of experience to be a part of the union then
this whipsawing would not happen and it would be a win-win for all.
Fares would raise to what they should be.
Airlines would have to be efficient with resources, sales and marketing
rather than relying just on cutting labor costs to make a profit.
Or do we need an administration that cares about labor first?

http://www.ibew.org/links/index.htm

Last edited:
suupah said:
I hate to say it, but i think that America needs to feel a day without pilots and see what the airlines do for the country and maybe we can get more popular support. Right now they could care less other than getting a low ticket fare.

I'm with ya. And not just a day...a couple of weeks. Right now, DAL, UAL, NWA, USAir, et. al., have been, and are getting raped. Haven't even put up a fight.

I gotta belive that if all those groups I just mentioned, walked off in unity in protest of what the govenment and management has done to them it would get noticed. And in a big FRIGGIN WAY!

You don't think that kunt sitting on the bench would change her attitude when she's stuck on the ground over the holidays, and her family stuck in airports, or all those suites on the Hill?

You bet your bottom.

This industy needs a national walk out, and now is the perfect time. Walk on midnight of Nov. 22 and tell the world you'll be in touch! If Alpa pilots squander this opportunity, they have no one to blame but themselves for the end result.

And it really is as simple as that.

Last edited:
quote:
"you have seen what happens when someone raised their fare $10, ridership fell like a rock and the raise was removed the next day. "

No, the raise was removed the next day because there was always a carrier that didn't go along with the increase.

To answer the original question about one union, one contract: It will never happen from the simple aspect of management never allowing it to happen. No whipsaw......

look what one union, one contract did to the US Shipping industry. Great wages, no jobs

JohnDoe said:
No, the raise was removed the next day because there was always a carrier that didn't go along with the increase.

And THAT is a unity problem among airline management.

They need to get together like the oil company's.

When was the last time a gas station raised it's prices, and everyone one else didn't follow.

They, my friends, have the right idea.

If oil company's can legally price-fix, so can airlines. And I'm good with that.

I've always wondered how it is the oil companies can get away with raising and lowering their prices simultaniously, and to the exact same amount.

If the airlines tried that, there would be anti-trust lawsuits (or something of that nature) from coast to coast, politicians screaming "foul" etc. etc....

Oh well......

One regional, one contract, one payrate.

Works for anyone mesa or below, but for the rest of us with balls, we dont want the paycut or drop in lifestyle.

Latest resources

Back