"One Six Right" The movie, coming to theaters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AirBadger said:
Yeah, I agree with you. People just don't really care.

I just got back from taking a female co-worker up for a sunrise flight with my brother and his girlfriend. It was the first time flying in a small plane for both girls, and they were astounded. Very excited and very appreciative.

A younger guy (mid-20s) just bought my motorcycle last week and we got to talking about flying. He's been one other time with a friend and absolutely loved it! I pretty much had to promise him a flight if he bought the bike. Seems very excited about doing it soon.

The list goes on for many others that I've taken flying for their first time. I can't think of anyone that's gone with me that wasn't really excited and looking forward to doing it again soon. I certainly don't think it's because of my "steller" 180 hr PPL skills. It's because flying is cool and it is exciting. People just have to experience for themselves and not be brainwashed by the media or hysterical people around them.

If some of you feel that flying has become a nerdy endeavour right up there with RPGs and friday night online gaming, I feel sorry for you. If your friends think that, you must have some pretty dull friends.

I'm having fun with it, and the people around me like it too. Hopefully it's something that I'll be lucky enough to do and share with others for a long time.

Oh yeah, and I thought "One Six Right" was an awesome movie.

wrxpilot said:
I'm having fun with it, and the people around me like it too. Hopefully it's something that I'll be lucky enough to do and share with others for a long time.
Right on, wrx! I'm right there with ya!

dseagrav said:
It's kinda odd, people started thinking ham radio was worthless about the same time they started thinking pilots were worthless... It used to be interesting to be able to call South America from a car battery and a clothesline, now people just complain because they think I'm the one causing their AOL dialup to disconnect. Same for piloting. It used to be something to be respected. Now I just catch crap from people at work for making a lot of noise, burning gas unnecessarily, endangering the community at large, etc etc.

Heyas dseagrav,

Yup. There is plenty of handringing and teethnashing over at the AOPA forum about how student starts are WAY down and the pilot population in general is getting MUCH older. But that's not the only recreational activity that is showing that trend.

Any of your "technical" hobbies are showing the very same trends. The model aviation people, the ham radio people, electronics, etc etc...all are complaining about how no new people are getting into it, and the present crowd is getting older. Basically, it's any hobby that requires some kind of time investment to become competent.

As a Ham, you are probably aware of the whole "broadband over powerline issue". Most people would willingly sacrifice the ham bands (along with police, fire, aviation and other long distance radio communication) to pay $5 less a month for their internet so that they could download pr0n or pirate movies. So what if some nerdy old timers in their basement can't talk to each other? Haven't they ever heard of cellphones or the internet? This goes to the core of my argument.

I would argue that ADD, ritalin addicted youth these days just aren't willing to sit still for 5 seconds to put any worthwhile energy into anything. They all say the same thing:

1. It's boring (no instant gratification)
2. It's too much work (meaning it takes precious time off from the play station)
3. There's no money in it.
4. There are better ways to spend money (ATV, Boat, Golf, etc)
5. I don't have the time or money ($$$ in credit card debt, both partners work, kids have to be in 8 activities a week, pay for two new SUVs).

As the above poster noted, sure, there are people who will go up for a free ride, but how many of those people will come back and pony up the $$$ and the time (especially with a friend to mooch off of) to do it themselves. Unfortunately flying HAS become a "nerdy" pastime. It's the on-line RPG player that has moved into the mainstream.

A perfect, non-aviation example of this comes from a friend of mine who teaches horseback riding. Anyway, this person has worked at it their whole life, and started sweeping stables in exchange for lessons. Back in the day, it wasn't something you just did for an hour or two, but was an all day event. These days, the little wonders hop out of the Volvo for two hours, put in a minimum of effort, mommy writes the check, and they hop back into the car for the next activity. Zero emotional investment.

I believe that general aviation, as we know it, is heading for a bad time. In the past, when there has been a lull in interest, there were always the "airline track" training activity to keep it somewhat afloat. Now that everyone sees that there is ZERO money in it, it has chased away all but the die hard.

Nu

Last edited:
Heck just take one look at this board and it's easy to see why the negativity of most airline pilots would scare away the potential students.

AirBadger said:
Heck just take one look at this board and it's easy to see why the negativity of most airline pilots would scare away the potential students.

Beat me to it!

AirBadger said:
This tour is showing the movie in some super duper HD setup. Supposed to have 4x the quality of regular HD. It's like 12 bucks or so to go see it (in DFW).

We have an HD movie theater here http://www.cinetopiatheaters.com I go to nothing but Living Room 21+ shows Can eat a dinner and have a beer or glass of wine and watch a movie with out the teens chatting on their phones and making out next to you! Oh! Nice leather reclining chairs that get a cleaning after each showing!

epic! said:
can i find the dvd for less than $30 (sportys price)?

I looked but didn't see anything. At first $30 seemed a bit high, but then I thought about Brian Terwilliger, the creater of the film, and how this was his first production (If I remember right) and the purpose this serves. At least your money isn't going to the usual big movie studios. I think it was worth it.

I met Brian at Sun-N-Fun this past spring. He really poured his heart and soul into this project and it shows in its quality! The shots are absolutely stunning. I'd love to see it on a top-notch home theater if it ever comes out on Blu-ray, or HDDVD. The camera he used is phenominal...takes a bank of hard drives to capture the video stream!

Worth the $30!

Latest resources

Back