Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

STL717

CL-215 Lake James, NC
An exhilarating documentary film that celebrates the unsung hero of aviation – the local airport – by tracing the life, history, and struggles of an airport icon: Southern California’s Van Nuys Airport. Featuring thrilling aerial photography and a sweeping original score, the film dispels common misconceptions and opposes criticism of General Aviation airports. Through the love story of one airport, past to present, the film shares the timeless romance of flying with all ages.

http://www.onesixright.com/

Van Nuys documentary to land at theaters soon

by Chad Trautvetter

In his producing and directing debut, Brian Terwilliger wanted to make an epic movie about the romance of flying, of all things. So he decided to film a 90-minute flick called One Six Right, a documentary about the passion for flying at the world’s busiest general aviation airport, Van Nuys Airport (VNY), California.

Terwilliger, who has been in the movie industry for about 10 years, learned to fly at VNY and simply wanted to share his passion for aviation and the thrill of flying the best way he could—by making a movie. He holds a private license, has about 300 hours in his logbook and bases his Cessna 182 at VNY.

Based on the movie trailer (which is available online at www.onesixright.com), the end product is a stunning motion picture filmed in high definition that possibly could cause even the staunchest supporters of any anti-airport group to rethink their position. While the movie includes exciting scenes of airplanes in flight and plenty of historical information about VNY itself, Terwilliger brings the human element into the documentary with interviews with more than 70 people, including business aviation legend Clay Lacy, aviation writer Barry Schiff, movie director/producer and pilot Sidney Pollack, astronaut Gordon Cooper (who died in October) and a number of others who ran businesses at the airport or called VNY home.

Terwilliger told AIN that he expects most filmgoers will be “all choked up” by the end. “The way the people talk about flying,” he said, “the music, the airplane shots?Ĭit’s all very emotional.”

Terwilliger started the project in February 2000; filming began in October 2003 and finally wrapped late last year. Terwilliger said the documentary wouldn’t have been possible without the financial backing from investors, a list that includes Cessna Aircraft and Clay Lacy. However, Lacy—known for his role in filming aerial shots for several Hollywood movies—didn’t shoot any such scenes for One Six Right, though he was filmed flying his T-6 and DC-3, among other aircraft, for the flick.

At press time the film was still in editing, and Terwilliger expects it to be released to theaters this year—first in the Van Nuys area and possibly nationwide if he can persuade distributors to carry the documentary. The movie could even show up at some IMAX theaters, given that it was filmed in high definition.

A DVD version will be available later this year, and Terwilliger expressed optimism that it could even air on cable before the year is out. Visitors who go to the film Web site and reserve a DVD copy get instant access to a three-minute preview of some beautifully shot air-to-air footage from the film. In addition, visitors can also sign up to be notified when One Six Right finally lands at theaters.

I thought people went to movies to escape their mundane lives.

This tour is showing the movie in some super duper HD setup. Supposed to have 4x the quality of regular HD. It's like 12 bucks or so to go see it (in DFW).

Anybody know if it's coming to the Northeast? I own the DVD but I'd probably check it out in the theatre.

Heyas all,

I hate to sound like a cynic, and I've seen 16R, and think it's a GREAT movie...however.

Most people won't give it a glance. Adults in the real world are too busy trying to screw each other over for half a percentage point, yakking on the cell phone or fighting with their ex-spouse over alimony, and even if they did see the movie, all they'd think is "gee, all that space would make a nice softball field/golf course/housing development". Kids wouldn't look up for 3 seconds from their gameboy if a plane landed right in front of them.

The ugly truth? People just don't care. Recreational pilots are now lumped into the same "weird geek" category as ham radio.

Nu

NuGuy said:
Heyas all,

I hate to sound like a cynic, and I've seen 16R, and think it's a GREAT movie...however.

Most people won't give it a glance. Adults in the real world are too busy trying to screw each other over for half a percentage point, yakking on the cell phone or fighting with their ex-spouse over alimony, and even if they did see the movie, all they'd think is "gee, all that space would make a nice softball field/golf course/housing development". Kids wouldn't look up for 3 seconds from their gameboy if a plane landed right in front of them.

The ugly truth? People just don't care. Recreational pilots are now lumped into the same "weird geek" category as ham radio.

Nu

Yeah, I agree with you. People just don't really care.

NuGuy said:
Recreational pilots are now lumped into the same "weird geek" category as ham radio.

It's kinda odd, people started thinking ham radio was worthless about the same time they started thinking pilots were worthless... It used to be interesting to be able to call South America from a car battery and a clothesline, now people just complain because they think I'm the one causing their AOL dialup to disconnect. Same for piloting. It used to be something to be respected. Now I just catch crap from people at work for making a lot of noise, burning gas unnecessarily, endangering the community at large, etc etc.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back