Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CRJ2008

Hello everyone

I have been a regional pilot for about two years, and 5 years as a flight instructor before that. Obviously not your long hauler 30 year captain by any means. But these two years were long enough to make me realize that in this profession, there are a lot of sacrifices to face, not just the sacrifices we make as pilots, but our families and loved ones too. These two years made me learn that this job wasn’t me. As of yesterday I am out of my pilot job and on the streets ready to listen to any good advice. I know there is a lot of wisdom and good ideas among fellow pilots.

I am asking for any kind of advice ranging from easy to transition jobs to go to, good jobs in demand, good money jobs. Or anything that you would like to say to somebody leaving the Airline industry like me. It has been a fun journey and one that I needed to make, to realize what is important for me. Thank you all in advance for your honest thoughts.

sorry

I clicked the button a little too early. These jobs are obviously not easy and they require some brains (maybe more than I have) and I know they have their own headaches, but, it would be worth a shot. Good luck.

mistake

I thought my earlier post went through, but, obviously not. If I lost my aviation job tomorrow, I would try to go into medicine. Any kind of medicine. Tech, Dr., Nurse, Nurse Practitioner. These jobs seem to be in demand and pretty secure (if any job is really secure). Good luck

Ask yourself what are you interested in. Did you like instructing? If so Flight Safety & Simuflite are options. Pay and bennies are not bad. It all depends on what you are looking for my friend. Good luck to you and your family on whatever you decide.

Well we are similar, I left a career to come to aviation only to be out of work.. hopefully you have other skills or schooling to fall back on.. if so find work in the area and go back to CFI or GA for the love of aviation..

I have left the airlines for many of the same reasons you have.. I do miss it, so I found teaching and then back to GA was the best balance for me and my family..

At least you found out early in life and you have time to rearrange your priorities.... Now that your not time building as a CFI, you might want to go back to it with a different motivation now and actually enjoy it knowing that this is where the line is for you and avaition.. it can be quite rewarding to have a little of both worlds.. good luck

1) Go to China

2) teach English

3) Marry a china girl

4) use your $$ to buy real estate

5) Step 3 helps you get around the politics of buying their land, so maybe your wife will not mind!!

Joking aside: I have a great flying job (IMHO), but I do not see myself doing this in my 50's. Its quickly turning into a "job" and I'm only 30!! I have thought about it a lot and honestly don't know what I would do besides this. I plan to live WAY below my means, invest wisely and marry a rich woman!! Hopefully Netjets will stay in biz for another 20 years!

Good luck to ya,

Mud

I agree that you could find a non-flying job and then supplement that with some instruction on the side for fun and some additional money (maybe one day per week). That way you can still enjoy aviation and maybe remember why you enjoyed it in the first place. That's what I would do...

Good luck.

Friends, Family and Personal Wealth….these are the three demons’ you must slay if you wish to work in the airline industry. Ever hear the joke, how do you make a small fortune in the airline industry…start with a large one. Sad but true. Dont get me wrong, I still love what I do - just not the same industry it once was.

Some thoughts

I'm 59.8 and a new FO..retired corporate attorney who always wanted to fly...I think I understand a little about what you're going through...my thoughts:

1. The most important decisions you'll make in life are: a. who you marry, b. what work you do and c. where you live.

2. a & c are pretty personal, but you've asked about b. The first thing I would do is spend the time and $ to have experts tell you what you're good at and how those skills correlate with people doing similar work who profess to be happy. I highly recommend the Johnson O'Connor Foundation (a non-profit) http://www.jocrf.org/

3. Whatever the answer you come up, don't completely discard flying...you may change your mind in the future..i.e. don't burn bridges, keep the doors open.

Whatever you decide, good luck and God speed!

a buddy of mine left Skywest as an RJ Capt. to go to Flightsafety. He frickin loves it!! Makes more $$$ and works about 3 days a week, great incentive plans, benefits, etc. Plus you get a type rating for whichever a/c you end up teaching in. Not to mention all the job offers you will come across while teaching. Good luck!! I left the industry for a year to go back to being a stockbroker..... one year later Im flying again! wtf!!!

Latest resources

Back