• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

One less pilot around, and looking for fellow pilot wisdom

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I went fractional, but I hear you. I may leave this job at some point myself. I suggest checking out what other skills you have, and then seeing how they relate to aviation, a world that you already know. The Flight Safety suggestion is a good one, but hardly unique. Can you write? Lots of technical writing in aviation, most of which is done poorly. Want to sell aircraft? Very profitable. Thought of being a DO at a small time charter outfit? If you've gotten this far in aviation, you clearly know how to learn, and can pay addition to detail. You've acquired the good judgement necessary to make quick and accurate decisions. In other words, you would be good at a variety of jobs, from paralegal to pharm tech. Or go back to school big time and become a lawyer or pharmicist. Just do it for the right reasons, or you will wind up one of those lost souls who hasn't the faintest idea what to do when he(she) grows up.

Wacoflyr

Hello everyone

I have been a regional pilot for about two years, and 5 years as a flight instructor before that. Obviously not your long hauler 30 year captain by any means. But these two years were long enough to make me realize that in this profession, there are a lot of sacrifices to face, not just the sacrifices we make as pilots, but our families and loved ones too. These two years made me learn that this job wasn’t me. As of yesterday I am out of my pilot job and on the streets ready to listen to any good advice. I know there is a lot of wisdom and good ideas among fellow pilots.

I am asking for any kind of advice ranging from easy to transition jobs to go to, good jobs in demand, good money jobs. Or anything that you would like to say to somebody leaving the Airline industry like me. It has been a fun journey and one that I needed to make, to realize what is important for me. Thank you all in advance for your honest thoughts.

Well the first thing I would tell you is not to leave one job without an other in hand but to late for that...from a 30 plus yr guy...
try looking in the oil or energy business.

I was a delivery driver for a company called RPS (Roadway Package System) which is now Fedex Ground. They are owner operators for Fedex. You are home every night and owning 2 trucks, I was grossing 125k. Yes, you have to pay for mx and your own taxes, but again, you're home everynight with the kids.
I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.

I agree with J-Rod. Keep your foot in the door by doing some flight instruction on the side. There are plenty of jobs out there and maybe you will find your desire to fly again professionally at some point.

One of the most difficult things I remember about being furloughed was looking at the "new" bid and not seeing my name on it. Equally as difficult was turning in my ID and walking out of the airport, resigning myself to being just a passenger from that point forward.

That being said, I am still flying. There was a point where I was going to go back to school and go into medicine. My furlough, that time was cancelled. For some reason, this occupation keeps dragging me back for more, and I take it.

Truly, I do love the job. It's just that though...a job. Keep family first. Far too many families have been destroyed by aviation. I know that first hand.

Are you going to try to stay in aviation? Domestically it's very difficult to say the least. If you have to resign your seniority, don't look at that as a bad thing. You might be better off for it. You've lost a job but you haven't lost your abilities. You are a highly trainied individual in a very regimented industry. Hold your head up be proud of yourself when you interview. It will show.

A financial advisor was giving some advice just recently on a business show. One of the things he said was that most people presume that it they lose a $50,000 job they will only find something that pays less. The advisor said that he likes to think that if he is unfortunate enough to lose his job, he's going to find something that pays $70,000. Possible, yes. I think that he's saying it's really up to us to sell ourselves.

Good luck out there. You're never given so much that you can't handle it.

You can also check into computers and IT stuff. Thats what I'm doing right now. After 2 regionals, being a frieghtdog, charter and flying the ditch I got fed up that the rewards just aren't there anymore. So far it's not bad and I was lucky enough to be able to stay part time flying a couple days a month to get my fix. I still get withdrawls and miss flying everyday (after doing it for 9 years). And if this industry ever pulls its head out of its a$$, I would come back if the right opportunity presented itself, but for now I'm trying to expand my horizons and enjoy a set, stable schedule. Good luck with your endeavors...hope it all works out!

That is a tough decision. I almost did the same thing. There are some books or services that takes a look at what you like to do and has careers that fit those traits.

Have you considered maybe flying for air ambulance companies? Some friends of mine love it. There might be other areas of aviation that might fit your needs.

If you have a 4 year degree have you considered getting your masters? If you are unable to attend classes there are now some reputable schools that offer online classes. Be careful because some school are not accredited, or have a low accreditation.

Good luck

Do anything you want to do. You've got the skill, face it, many don't make it this far. Take what you've learned and just apply it to something new. I work for Fedex as an operations manager, and many skills learned in aircraft transfer to the ground. Quick decisions, sound judgement, ability to lead. Employers are always looking for someone like that. The window view isn't always as nice, but it's a small sacrifice for sanity. Good luck

Latest resources

Back