Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
I'm sure I have a lot of company on this one.

I was laid off today.

Some severance money and paid benefits to the end of the month.

So, for those who have had more time than I as an unemployed pilot, I have two questions:

1) How do I find that WIA money in Pennsylvania?

2) Is that Gov't cheese any good??

:(

Very sorry to hear that Timebuilder. It's a tough market, but don't lose hope. You'll find another position soon.

Good luck.

Seems to be the norm as of late in the state of PA.

A friend of mine bit the bullet a few weeks back with LJ Aviation in Latrobe...

good luck

3 5 0

ps> He just applied for the unemployment and said there is absolutely nothing that you can do with regards to the WIA money until you get your first check then you can pursue the WIA money..

pss>> If you are still looking for a gig next month, pm me and I can point you in the right direction for a 135 position that "I" am very familiar with...

Tough break brother. I'm heading for the severance package route in a month and a half. Best of luck in getting something new or maybe getting called back if that is possible.

Mr. I.

TB

Are you willing to relocate to Florida?

If so PM me.

Timebuilder,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I remember how excited you were when you first got this job. Good luck in your job search, remember persistence pays off...

Hang in there!

Falcon Capt.

Timebuilder

I'm sorry to hear that. I was just reading another thread where it sounded like things were going real well for you a month or so ago. Well, like you said, you're not the only one these days.

Here's some info that's been posted on our furloughed pilot board that may help you, or anyone else in this terrible situation.

Best o'luck,
TriDriver Bob

P.S.: The following is info that I think is available for people who have been laid-off/furloughed. I guess as a professional pilot you may be able to get some help with a type-rating that would assist in getting another job.

JOB TRAINING GRANTS (FLYING AND NON-FLYING) Workforce Investment Act (WIA) www.doleta.gov/usworkforce helps furloughed pilots get type ratings, especially B-737 type ratings. This program is federally funded but distributed by the individual states. Some states will pay for all the training; others will only pay for some. The basic flow: you must start at your county level. Visit your county offices (same office that does Pell Grants, etc.) and ask about information on WIA. You must convince the agency that you need this rating to get another job. Southwest Airlines is frequently used as an example because it requires the rating. Funding can be difficult, but is possible to receive. For your states information call 877-872-5627.

For your state’s information please refer to:

www.doleta.gov/usworkforce/onestop/onestopmap.asp

or

www.naco.org/programs/social/work/getstate.cfm

JOB TRAINING GRANTS (FLYING AND NON-FLYING) Workforce Investment Act (WIA) -- helps furloughed pilot's get type ratings especially 737 type ratings. This program is federally funded but distributed by the individual States. Some States will pay for all the training others will only pay for some. The basic flow: you have to start at your county level. Visit your County offices, same office that does Pell Grants etc... and ask about information on WIA. It is very common, I'm told. The problem is convincing them that you need this rating to get another job. Southwest is always used as an example because they require the rating. Funding can be difficult be it can be done. See Jet Tech's Web site for contact numbers. They are experienced in doing the paper work. Ask for Kim Johnson. OR Flight Training International and has had a lot of success in getting guys through the program. Call (303) 329-0999.

The workforce Investment Act is the way to get funding. You should be able to get a reference to them through your local unemployment office.

FL has a rigid program that only pays I think up to $4000. I just got approved for $6080 for King Air 200 initial training and they are also paying expenses. If your not in FL I'd try to go through your local office. The local director has a lot of authority on the amount approved and the number of hoops you have to jump through to get the funding.

The hoops can be testing (light pen again), employment classes, resume work, interview prep, etc. Fortunately for me the local director realized I did not need all that and got right down to approving funding.

Type Rating Assistance-Aeroservice

My name is Robert Chiplock and I am a furloughed USAirways pilot. I am currently assisting the sales staff at Aeroservice in MIA. I would like you to disseminate the enclosed information to your pilot group. I obtained Workforce Investment Act funding in August to get a 737 type rating. There is also a National Emergency Grant that is Federally funded that will also fund type ratings. If any of your members desire a type rating, recurrent training or just want to stay current, please have them call Carrie Lauer at 800-752-7467. She can help obtain funding even if someone's home state won't. Also, if one of your members brings some other friends to the same class, that individual will receive a $200.00 referral fee for EACH person they bring! There are many jobs available in the MIA area. Many of those contacts train at Aeroservice. Best of luck to everyone.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely, Robert

Just some info. I applied for WIA funds through Arlington County, VA. I was helped by Deborah Herer. The paperwork was quick and the approval process was very fast. I did my training at AEROSERVICE in Miami. I talked to several companies but found their professionalism second to none. I completed the course in 15 days. The other people in my class had various backgrounds and I was the only one with prior 737 experience. Needless to say, EVERYONE at Aeroservice bent over backwards to make sure everyone in the class passed. I know others have had different experiences but this is my observation. If you need any assistance, contact Carrie Lauer at Aeroservice at 800-752-7467. Mention this note from your furlough coordinator or my name, Robert Chiplock, and they will give you the same deal I got which included a hotel room for around $6500. Carrie also is a liaison for WIA funding and can help you find funds if your state won't. Carrie has a central WIA website that will get you started in the funding process. Some states allow electronic applications so don't delay. E-mail me with any questions. Also, there are many jobs available in the MIA area. I met several key contacts at Aeroservice. Good luck to everyone.

Man, I hate to hear that. We haven't talked in a while, but you'll probably look back on this when you have an even better job and be thankful for this.

Latest resources

Back