On the street

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks to all for the kind words.

I got a firm handshake from my boss, and a promise to help in any way, yadda, yadda. I guess this kind of thing is symptomatic of the state of the industry.

My plan is to seek His guidance, and be a good steward of the opportunities that may be just over that horizon. After all, I was laid off just before Christmas 2001, and four months later I was in a Lear. There are always possibilities.

Sure, I'm willing to relocate. Any ideas? Feel free.

Eriknorth, keep working on that ticket, and maybe they'll be putting you in that airplane! Maybe you can play a little sax for them...

Tridriver, thanks for that info. I'm going to cover all the bases.

Falcon Capt, you're right. Persisance does pay off. As a friend of mine says, "keep swiniging the bat".

Batter up...

Last edited:
Don't join our club!!!

I have been in this unemployed club for a while and it's not pretty.
You need to pack a suitcase and be ready for the next phone call.
If you have no problem moving there are jobs listed on the various sites for LRJET Trained pilots.

BUT!!! If you have airline goals, now is the perfect time to use WIA funding and get that 737 rating and then look for a job.

Good Luck!

My sympathies, good sir. Were you guys based at Fruchter in RDG? Flew a Mooney down there a few times and remember a Lear 55. Nice country around there. Here's one for ya, Isa 65:17-24. Best wishes to you. The rough part is that things still seem to be sliding downwards, one step forward two steps back.

Sorry to hear that Timebuilder. Hang in there man, you'll find something. I'll do some searching and pm you with some possibilities you may want to pursue.

Wow that sucks TB. I remember when you got the gig and I think I was almost as excited as you were. It gave me hope that even though I'll soon join the over-hill-gang, that there still might be seat for me (Actually if I'd had my commercial multi last Summer I could have gotten a PT job pulling gear in a Lear 24. However, as it turns out the owner is a sleazebag and will most likely go to Federal prison one day for all his financial hi-jinks.).

Sorry to hear it ... best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Minh

I'll do some searching and pm you with some possibilities you may want to pursue.

Yowza! That's always welcome!

Right now I'm faced with a decision: to go ahead and get the LR type at SimCom, or wait and try to get some WIA money for the type. I hope it isn't mandatory that the type from WIA be a 737 type. As nice as that would be, and fun, I don't have the time to swim in the Southwest pool. If I was 30 or 35, no problem. I'd get the type, do some BFR's, IPC's, and flip some burgers (I'm pretty good with grilling animal flesh) while I wait.

last Summer I could have gotten a PT job pulling gear in a Lear 24. However, as it turns out the owner is a sleazebag and will most likely go to Federal prison one day for all his financial hi-jinks.).

Sounds like some 20 series guys I have heard about.

No, I wasn't over at Fructer. Mark has supposedly given control over to Peter Knight. I think the 55 you saw had been on our certificate at one time, and its departure had left some hard feelings. One of our pilots recently left to go fly for Peter with a better schedule and more time at home. A friend of mine had called over there (about two weeks ago) and had no luck finding an opening. On the same field, rumor says that Dyne Air might be up for sale soon, if not the entire Aerodynamics business. Who knows...

Timebuilder said:
My plan is to seek His guidance...
Avbug? :D

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, TB. Being laid off from any job stinks, but losing a flying job just adds insult to injury.

From what I've read around here, though, I'll bet you could be flying again soon if you're willing to pick up and move.

Good luck!

Avbug? You know, I hadn't considered a summer of fire bombing.

Hey, Avbug. Would they take a guy like me to help out dousing forest fires? Maybe I could help you fix some planes...

Yes, the bag is packed and there's gas in the car.

Do what I would do...(Maybe?)

If you are going to get some WIA assistance for a type, get one in the plane you been flying or maybe one just a step up of the same MAKE. At least then, your logged time AND that type, go hand in hand towards getting you the next job that you need... as opposed to getting a type rating that will ear mark you as SWA airline bound. You can allways get one of those types later...get one you can use NOW.

Talk to the captain you been flying for and ask him how that sounds...you don't want to be trying to interview for a charter or corporate position with AIRLINE tattooed on you ratings right now. Even FedEx isn't hiring furloughed airline pilots or people that are below mins that bought a 727 type to get a leg up, so says a little birdie.

Just my two cents worth. If I got furloughed right now, I'd hit the WIA for a Citation type of some sorts, or some other corporate type of jet. Grab that and start pounding the corporate and 135 jet circuit, including the fractionals.

That sounds like good advice to me.

I'm looking into the WIA for the Lear type this week.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back