• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

On NPR - What makes a good airline pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have flown with a lot of guys that were F/O's when Nance was a Captain here and not one had anything good to say about him

NPR listenership has a higher level of education than just about any media outlet, so I wouldn't call them lazy.

BBB, did you listen to the program?
When you want to steal from those who are successful and give to those who have simply want a handout (all liberals), what exactly do you call it?

BBB

I was really hoping for a thread that wouldn't be about politics.

NPR listenership has a higher level of education than just about any media outlet, so I wouldn't call them lazy.

When I think of higher level of education like that of NPR listeners I think of eggheads. When I think of eggheads I think of intellectuals, who may be booksmart, but lack common sense. Btw Nance does write a good book.

I was really hoping for a thread that wouldn't be about politics.

In my life I have met lots of complete idiots who "have a higher level of education". They are usually the ones who don't hesitate to mention just how smart they think they are...

Ahh so much crap I have heard spewed on NPR. These self appointed acolytes try to "educated the masses" by showing only their viewpoint (and left leaning it definitely is) with half-assed, cobbled together information. These are usually the people that have advanced degrees but need a manual to change a diaper or a tire. Some much learning but no idea of how to apply it.

One thing I have leaned from NPR, if you speak slowly in a restricted cadence with a few well placed adjective, you must be an expert on that subject.

Even so, I am guilty of occasionally listening to NPR.

I listen to NPR frequently so I can get an idea as to what the liberal elite are thinking. They are hardly paragons of neutrality. It isn't a politically neutral news organization and it definitely has a clear agenda. Juan Williams, Diane Reem, Cokie Roberts and Daniel Shore, etc are hardly moderates. Even though I generally enjoy the discussion on Reems show it definitely has a liberal slant. Shore is a senile idiot. Everybody raves about Lehrer too and while I like the guy he is also definitely left of center. Where's the conservative voice as a counterpoint? There isn't one. Just because the commentators are literate and usually civil doesn't make them neutral.

My other problem with NPR is they slurp at the public trough and without public funding they would be gone tomorrow. If they are so good why aren't they commercially viable?

OTOH, their pure entertainment shows are very good. I really enjoy listening to Echoes, Click and Clack, the old radio show reruns, and even Garrison Keelor (sp?). His politics suck, but I like his variety radio show.

It may have been impractical, but I think Sully himself on the program would have been terrific. Npr is a good program, I just don't think to much of John Nance. Who knows, maybe he is a great guy and pilot, but I don't care for his blowhard public persona.

Rumor has it that when Nance was at Braniff they banished him to the F.E. seat due to his inability to upgrade. Also heard the same about him when he was at Alaska.

Not to hijack the thread, but Nance is a total tool. He's extremely arrogant, and is books blow. His plots are all over the place.

Where's the conservative voice as a counterpoint? There isn't one.

This was just on. It was a pretty good show.
Leadership and Future of the GOP

Republican National Committee Chair Michael Steele traded barbs with talk show host Rush Limbaugh. The latest on who is leading the GOP and internal strife within the party.
Guests

David Keene, chairman of the American Conservative Union and managing associate with Carmen Group, a D.C.-based governmental-affairs firm

Byron York, chief political correspondent, "Washington Examiner" and author of "The Vast Left Wing Conspiracy"

David Frum, is a resident fellow, American Enterprise Institute; author of "Comeback: Conservatism That Can Win Again", and co-author of "An End to Evil: What's Next in the War on Terror;" former speechwriter and special assistant to President George W. Bush (2001-02).

Richard Viguerie, author of "Conservatives Betrayed: How George W. Bush and Other Big Government Republicans Hijacked the Conservative Cause."

Saul Anuzis, is former chairman of the Michigan Republican Party. He was a recent candidate for the National Republican National Committee chair and serves as co-anchor of the RNC transition team. He regularly contributes to conservative blogs.

My other problem with NPR is they slurp at the public trough and without public funding they would be gone tomorrow. If they are so good why aren't they commercially viable?

From Wiki: About 2% of NPR's funding comes from bidding on government grants and programs, chiefly the Corporation for Public Broadcasting; the remainder comes from member station dues, foundation grants, and corporate underwriting.

That was $2.4M in 2005.

Click and Clack do rule.

Latest resources

Back