• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

On Demand Call Out Times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All the capts I've flown with here on the pax charter side complain about the 90 minute callout (+60 min to wheels up)... I just smile and think about my old 30 min call-to-wheels up which included flight plan filing, wx check, preflight, customs, and getting to the airport.

But then there are days when I wonder if I will ever actually have a real schedule, probably not... at least I can go to the grocery store now.

It used to be 30 min wheels up and 12k a year! That was before anyone had a cell phone, so I had to carry a quarter at all times in case they page me when I wasn't at home!

The business is not for everyone. It paid the bills for me and mine for 4 1/2 years. Tough life. Not for the family man or woman.
GOOD
-OK pay (compared to other entry level jobs)
-JET/TP PIC quickly
-You make good friends being with someone for 3 weeks at a time (helped me out later getting the job I am at now)
-You become a fantastic stick very quickly...if you are inclined to solve problems this is where you'll get your chance to do that.
BAD
-Most meals consist of a Snickers, Hot Fries, and a Grape Soda (you got by accident because the vending guy was in a funny mood while stocking the Coke machine in Del Rio)
-NO QOL
-Torn out old, dirty, smelly, squeeking, dingy, bucket of bolts they call a 1962 model serial #11 Falcon 20 Fan Jet

No complaints....if you can hack it for a couple years...go for it.
I personally wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. The experiences I had, the places I went, the people I flew with....it was one of the most memorable times in my life.

It will do one of two things to you...it will either drive you crazy....or it will do what it did to me....Build character.

FR8dognit hit the nail on the head. I usually don't mind the schedule or more specifically the lack there of that I have with Royal. We don't have a hard call out time, but they generally want you in the air within an hour. So if I'm at the airport within 30-45min that's pretty do-able. If I'm running late I just file on my cell phone while I'm driving in.

Only one problem, they don't fly the 3's anymore. Actually the only operator that I know of that still fly the DC-3 in the lower 48 is Basler.

Grow A Pair!

Fr8doginit is exactly right!

How much time do you have? For low timers...well beggers can't be choosers.

I did it for 8 1/2 years. Ouch...I turned into that guy I said I'd never be. J/K. Anyway, it's not for everyone. But in a way...well you just can't beat it. It made me the pilot I am today...and the times and experience, I can always look back and smile. What a helluva ride. Livin on GEM doughnuts, stale coffee, 3 day old beans in some crockpot in Jackass flats Nebraska. How 'bout some Taco Palenque at 3AM! If you know what I'm talking about...I'll buy you a beer anytime anywhere. We are a close bunch, but I'll fight you for the couch at GVA...scabies and all! I don't care if you're flying a falcon or lear for whoever...we are a member of the sleepless knights and we are all in it together. It does build character. And for those of us that have done it, for a year or 10, you'll always get our respect.

Those guys that say you can't do it, and 30 mins from the page is insane...well, they just never lived in that world....it's possible and it's not that bad once you get used to it. LOL.

Eveyone says whatever they did is the best pilots in the world....I'm partial to Freight dogs....they were the best guys I've flown with and I'll put my kids on any airplane a freight dog is on....well most guys anyway. ;)

There's noting like throwin on the spurs and eye patch and goin to work. I love it the guy that said you don't have to shower and shave...LOL If it weren't so true.

I love my AirBus and flying pax now....but I use my experience all the time that I learned from flying freight.

If you don't get killed, or violated...you'll learn A LOT!!!!

GROW A PAIR AND STRAP IT ON!!

Last edited:
Fr8doginit is exactly right!

How much time do you have? For low timers...well beggers can't be choosers.

I did it for 8 1/2 years. Ouch...I turned into that guy I said I'd never be. J/K. Anyway, it's not for everyone. But in a way...well you just can't beat it. It made me the pilot I am today...and the times and experience, I can always look back and smile. What a helluva ride. Livin on GEM doughnuts, stale coffee, 3 day old beans in some crockpot in Jackass flats Nebraska. How 'bout some Taco Palenque at 3AM! If you know what I'm talking about...I'll buy you a beer anytime anywhere. We are a close bunch, but I'll fight you for the couch at GVA...scabies and all! I don't care if you're flying a falcon or lear for whoever...we are a member of the sleepless knights and we are all in it together. It does build character. And for those of us that have done it, for a year or 10, you'll always get our respect.

Those guys that say you can't do it, and 30 mins from the page is insane...well, they just never lived in that world....it's possible and it's not that bad once you get used to it. LOL.

Eveyone says whatever they did is the best pilots in the world....I'm partial to Freight dogs....they were the best guys I've flown with and I'll put my kids on any airplane a freight dog is on....well most guys anyway. ;)

There's noting like throwin on the spurs and eye patch and goin to work. I love it the guy that said you don't have to shower and shave...LOL If it weren't so true.

I love my AirBus and flying pax now....but I use my experience all the time that I learned from flying freight.

If you don't get killed, or violated...you'll learn A LOT!!!!

GROW A PAIR AND STRAP IT ON!!

amen brother! proud member of the fraternal order of the sleepless knights. i get my hardhat and lunch pail and GO TO WORK! we get 45 mins to wheels up and often times we dont even need all of it. if we do its cause of a slow hotel van or a sleepy line guy fueling us. damn i love my job. yeah at times i get bitter but who doesn't. the coon and lear always put a smile on my face.

Hi!

USA Jet:
Falcon is 10 hard days every 28, usually 10 in a row or 5/5. If you're on the road they will: Buy your day (4 hours of pay-new hire Falcon FOs make $50/hour), Bank your day so you can use it later, or Airline you home (or wherever you want to go, as long as the price is about the same or less as airlining you to DTW).

DC-9 is 12 hard days every 28. If you're a -9 PAX pilot, you get 11 days off every 28 (1 extra day of pay to cover the lost day if you don't want to bank it) and you have a 2 hour callout.

Short-notice callout is 25". Often you get more notice.

Last Jun one of our Falcon FOs made $7K. Last month one of our Falcon Capts made $15K.

cliff
YIP

PM me with your email if you want more info.

Latest resources

Back