• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Older/exotic aircraft flying in/for the military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are still 3 U-2's flying that were built in '67.

You're not kidding, are you??
OK, OK,... I take this personally, I guess,... seeing as I just flew one 4 hours ago.
Yes, they still fly them. Most are now T-38C aircraft at the 4 pilot training bases,... but Beale, Whiteman, and Holloman still fly about 45 T-38A models.
The jets at Beale were all '64 & '65 models, but they got two "new" jets that are '68 models.
All in all, there are about 500 T-38's still flying.
Edwards has around 10 assigned to the test world.
NASA flies about 30 of them.
The Navy has maybe 4-6 jets at Pax River.
There are some international operators too.
And a handful of privately owned T-38's.

actually I meant T-37

i admit complete moron-ness as they are NOT the same airplane

T-37 Tweet made by Cessna was the plane I meant.

(Admitting being stupid)

The Army got rid of its last UH-1's at mother Rucker by painting "US Air Force" on the tail.

There's always an exception. The DC ARNG (121st Med Co Air Amb) still flies single-engine UH-1s out of KDAA. Believe they're Victor models.

actually I meant T-37
There are two pilot training classes at Sheppard flying the T-37. When they are done, that's it for T-37 flying in the USAF. Should be around March 2009, I'm guessing.
There are a couple of T-37/A-37's flying privately. A few countries might still be flying them too.

The Army got rid of its last UH-1's at mother Rucker by painting "US Air Force" on the tail.

Technically yes...but those ain't the same old "H" models any more. They were completely refurbished to zero time with new engines, tailbooms, Bell 212 main and tail rotor components, etc, etc. Turned them into nice "new" Huey II's.

HH

PHX ANG until recently had KC135E models manufactured in 1956.:eek: If that doesn't qualify for "older aircraft" nothing does!! NASA Langley for the longest time operated a B737-100. Manufactured in 1967, this particular aircraft was the first-ever B737 built by Boeing and was one of only 12 100 series 737's built, the rest being the longer -200 series after construction of this initial batch of aircraft. Originally delivered to Lufthansa, this particular airplane was used by Boeing for 737 certification flights prior to delivery and was donated by NASA to The Museum of Flight in Seattle several years ago.

For those who might pass thru ELP from to time to time,you'll find sitting on the ramp near the FBO the last known example here in the US of a CV990 Coronado .When it was originally manufactured by Convair in the late 50's early 60's it was at the time the fastest civilian airliner on the market. Unfortunatley dispatch reliability and a late entry into the market doomed the airplane pretty much from the start and the few that were operated here in the US by American soon found there way to second-tier supplemental airlines here in the US and a few overseas carriers, most notably Varig in Brazil ,Spantax the Spanish charter airline and US supplemental airline Modern Air Transport. Also seen there on occasion is NASA'S Super Guppy and a civilian C130 in white and blue colors with a US "N" number painted on the fuselage. Some pretty neat stuff.

PHXFLYR:cool:

By the way does anyone know who owns the 130 ? I might need a job soon.....:cool:

Last edited:
Heard a contractor was still flying the A3 whale on some sort of contract. NASA was up until recently flying a F106 and still flies WB57's. Navy has a couple of F4's (not drones) Anything else cool flying in research, training roles?

The F-106 at Langley was retired back in 88'. There are no navy F-4's, the AF has a couple at Tyndall.

Oldest aircraft still in US military service? I'm going to guess it's got to be a KC-135 from the 56'-57' timeframe.

For the longest time it was 52-008 a B-52B Operated by NASA but still carried on the USAF inventory. "008" retired a year or two ago.

Latest resources

Back