• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

OLD TWA Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Len Morgan, also deceased, was an awesome (and underappreciated) writer with a career stretching from WWII up to the demise of Braniff. Told the same stories as Schiff minus the ego injection...Don't get me going on that whineyass Les Abend....

Come on you can get going on him! Have you flown with him? Personally I don't mind his columns at all and at least give him a tip of the hat for being an enthusiastic supporter of our profession.
Not arguing, just curious to here from anyone who has flown with him.

And how has this string gone this far with no mention of Ernest K. Gann???

Of his many books, he had a great autobiography "A Hostage to Fortune"

Bob Buck.....

was the man. He also wrote "The Pilots Burden," harder to find, but a great read. If you can still find it, there was a C-SPAN interview with him a few years back on BookTV for "North Star Over My Shoulder" VERY interesting talk about the evolution of aviation, technology and human factors. They don't make'em like that any more....

Another good aviation writer is Rick Drury, a retired FlyingTigers/Fed Ex Captain. For quite a while, he was a contributing editor for Airways magazine and wrote a column called Flightlines. He has since retired from the magazine and has taken some of those better articles from that column and has published it in book format using the same title. Another book of his is "My Secret War " a story of his Air Force flying in A-1E Skyraiders during VietNam and the Air America-type flying he did in Laos post-Air Force and prior to getting hired at Tigers in the early 70's.

Another good read is from yet another retired Tigers / Fed Ex Captain and that would be Larry Partridge's book " Flying Tigers over Cambodia " , his true story of flying as a DC-8 F/O for Tigers in and out of Cambodia during the Khemer Rouge takeover in 1975 and flying the last trip out of Saigon prior to the fall of Vietnam . After reading his book, I was simply amazed that someone along the way didn't try to turn it into a made-for-TV type of movie. Some truly unbelievable flying and writing, including a nice human element to it all. After reading some of the stuff published by these 2 guys ,it makes me wish I were a Tigers pilot during their heyday

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
"North Star over my Shoulder" is a fantastic book. His was truly a career to be envied. It is one of my favorite reads. And I'll definitely check out "the pilots burden". Thanks for the tip.

Another good one, by the way, is "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck (no relation to Bob). He and his brother rebuild and fly and old piper cub coast to coast as teenagers in the 60's.

After reading some of the stuff published by these 2 guys ,it makes me wish I were a Tigers pilot during their heyday

Just think of the book that you'll be able to write about your AWA / LCC experience............

:pimp:

Hey...good idea. I mean if a shnook like Sully can write a book, how hard can it be ? Problem is,though mine would have to be classified as fiction. None of my friends who fly at other airlines can believe the stunts that the easties have pulled on us over the last several years.

Happy new year

Not TWA but a good read, mostly about early years in the mountain states.

Cpt. Tex Searle

"The Golden years of flying"

Latest resources

Back