• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

OLD TWA Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am looking for books written by an old TWA Pilot. I believe he started in the 30's on the DC-2, was Chief Pilot in the 40'/50's and then retired on the B747 in 1982. He wrote a bunch of stuff and for the life of me I cannot remember his name. Thanks.

I am looking for books written by an old TWA Pilot. I believe he started in the 30's on the DC-2, was Chief Pilot in the 40'/50's and then retired on the B747 in 1982. He wrote a bunch of stuff and for the life of me I cannot remember his name. Thanks.

Are you thinking of Bob Buck ? Wrote "North Star over my Shoulder" and Weather flying..

North Star Over My Shoulder. Awesome book. A definite must read.

TWA retired Captain Barry Schiff writes for Flying magazine. Fairly mundane stuff but I remember reading about his last flight (his son was is FO) and my eyeballs were sweating.

Pretty cool article for an airline guy.

Gup

TWA retired Captain Barry Schiff writes for Flying magazine. Fairly mundane stuff but I remember reading about his last flight (his son was is FO) and my eyeballs were sweating.

Pretty cool article for an airline guy.

Gup

Barry makes a good living now as an "aviation consultant" in lawsuits, etc. Brian, his son and FO on his retirement flight, is a closet fan of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. He did flash me a hooch shot on his computer once while boarding for his cover.

Barry also writes in AOPA's monthly magazine.

Len Morgan, also deceased, was an awesome (and underappreciated) writer with a career stretching from WWII up to the demise of Braniff. Told the same stories as Schiff minus the ego injection...Don't get me going on that whineyass Les Abend....

Len Morgan, also deceased, was an awesome (and underappreciated) writer with a career stretching from WWII up to the demise of Braniff. Told the same stories as Schiff minus the ego injection...Don't get me going on that whineyass Les Abend....

I grew up reading Morgan's stuff in flying magazine, I loved it then and it left a lasting impression on me. There are several books that contain the flying magazine articles, as well as some other things.

A few years ago, I looked on Amazon and was able to locate and buy most of it. It doesn't come any better than Len Morgan, and you come away richer for having read it. I highly recommend locating some of his writings, you will be glad you did.

Bob Buck's North Star Over My Shoulder is a magnificent read too, and is still readily available.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back